Veach Gap Trail

Veach Gap Trail is a 8.1 mile out and back trail located near Fort Valley, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Backpacked this trail a couple of years ago, it was a nice trail but it rained almost the whole time, so it wasn't as nice as it would have been

Correction to earlier comments: After reviewing additional maps, I see it is not possible to hike the trail North on Massanutten Mountain. It doesn't exist. Sorry.

Just wanted to add a couple of comments to the previous hiker's review.

Three of us made this hike and we experienced the same difficulty as described. In fact, we did turn Right, instead of Left, which means we continued on Veach Gap Trail over Massanutten Mountain to a Revolutionary War Memorial and walked back. It was a pretty arduous hike, but we enjoyed it nonetheless.

A couple of things. The distance described (apparently from the same trail description was 0.10 mile, after crossing over Mill Run. We considered it to be about twice that. When I rechecked it on a map planner, it measures 0.24 mile. The difference in the mileage that was reported in the trail description and our experience led us to believe that we might have passed the turn that was described.

I believe a better trail selection for this hike would be to turn Right and intersect the Tascarora/Massanutten Trail at the top of the Massanutten Mountain and then proceed North 1.77 miles and and then return on Little Crease Mountain and visit the three overlooks that were described in the initial trail description for this hike.

This would make the hike of about 6 miles or so. Our hike with the Right turn continuing on Raven Gap Trail and return registered almost 8 miles.

Our Odometer registered 10.3 miles after turning from Va 55 onto Fort Valley Road before turning on to 774, the road leading to the small parking lot that accommodates 8-10 cars. We saw no people on our hike on 8/25/13. At the completion of the hike, there were 2 other cars.

I have not rated this hike because we did not see the overlooks. I believe with the suggested trail plan, it could be a really nice hike. I am a skeptic when it comes to people rating things and then comparing the ratings. Here we didn't complete the trail as described.

In any event, we had a good hike. I hope to try it again someday with the trail I've suggested.

Drive down Ft. Valley (from Front Royal) and go about 5 mi or so....hang left at Veach Gap street sign. (38.87618 -78.37623)

Drive to the end of the road. Go right at the fork. Park in the lot at the dead end.

The trail is marked yellow until it meets up with the Massanutten Trail. I was a bit confused where the trail crosses the stream as I didn't see trail markings.....cross and continue on the dry part of the stream bed.

When you reach the Massanutten trail hang a left and continue until you reach the ridge. It's a very moderate incline....not difficult. Parts of the trail were muddy. A few other hikers but mostly had the trail to myself.

I did this first then did Meneka Trail.