Turkey Run Trail

Turkey Run Trail is a 3.2 mile loop trail located near McLean, VA that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great river views plus stream, falls and woods The trail starts in the C1 parking area and heads down to the Potomac River. The markers are yellow until you reach the river where you follow blue markers of the Potomac Heritage trail to the northwest along the river. You cross over Turkey Run and continue to Dead Run. Cross over Dead Run and go up stream, following the yellow markers again. Just after passing under the GW parkway bridge, turn left, cross the run and follow the yellow markers southeast until you reach Turkey Run again. Turn left and at the bridge cross over the run and follow the yellow trail up the hill and back to the parking lot.

It was good until you hit dead run..hard to spot trail. Lots of rock jumping that would be slippery if it just rained. Once you hit the clearing after the highway under pass the trail is better. Watch out for a homeless mans hut! If you see pass that you went too far.

We had a lot of rain lately so it was muddy and a lot of the trail markers had been washed out or hard to spot once you hit dead run. The loop back was easy except for a few spots where trees fell over and we had to find where the trail picked up or there were blazes on both sides of where the trail split. Thanks to another friendly hiker who had been on it before we were able to find the general direction back. Beautiful scenery, lots of small falls, mild climbing, and cool covered trail.

A bit challenging especially with the wet rocks and muddy trail- nice views, trail markings are a little confusing- but if you're interested in a challenge this is a trail for you.

Easy hike along with the Potomac river. Mostly easy with just one climb at the beginning. Some parts moderate because one has to crawl over trees and rocks.

beautiful hike but poorly marked when you hit dead run. might as well call it dead end. I had to turn around and go back the way I came. didn't finish the loop.

This is a really gorgeous hike! You travel up & down some hefty hills, cross Turkey Run over rocks, enjoy waterfalls & glorious views of the Potomac River. There was a good bit of ice in the waterfalls, making them look enchanted. It was very muddy on the trails & we slipped from time to time, but our good hiking boots helped get us through the entire trail. Parts of the trail were poorly marked but since we had the AllTrails app running, we were able to find our way back on the trail. It's a fun hike & we can't wait to go back. This would be a great trail in all seasons.

Overall nice, easy hike with dogs. Really muddy and few spots were tough to figure out direction.

Good hike except for the loiterers.

I have run here a couple of times and am glad I didn't have the issues mentioned below. There are usually other people walking the trail. The trail is short and easy.

While I didn't notice some of the issues mentioned by other reviewers, the main issue I had was that this is one of the worst marked trails I've ever been on. That said, the geology and the views of the Potomac are great, and it provides a little bit of a workout. With all the rocks, I'd imagine this trail is a bit better before all the leaves start coming down in the fall.

I do not recommend this trail. When you arrive, expect to see some older gay men cruising near the bathrooms. This park and trail is a very well known cruising spot. Inherently, I have no problem with this, but it does tend to make you a bit paranoid about what will be around the next turn... In addition, a large portion of the trail is so near the beltway that the sound of traffic drowns out any and all nature sounds. You even hike underneath the road at one point. The hike itself is easy to moderate, and there is one place with a small waterfall just beside the Potomac that was actually quite nice to sit and enjoy, but that small piece of quiet and beauty did not make the rest of the trail worth it.