Tract Fork and Polecat Trails

Tract Fork and Polecat Trails is a 11.3 mile loop trail located near Wytheville, VA that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

As for finding this trail, there are two approaches. The one described above utilizes the paved road from PULASKI to Gatewood Reservoir and so could be coupled with really beautiful and peaceful camping, canoeing or kayaking. Know, however, that the last two roads mentioned are dirt & gravel Forest Service roads and the upper trail-heads for Tract Fork and Polecat are *unmarked* on your right - utilize milages from the turn-off to find them. The trails are not blazed, but having been jeep trails previously, they're not difficult to follow.

The access I always use at the bottom of the mountain is easier to find, but your vehicle must me able to ford 2 shallow creeks. Start in PULASKI (why does this say Wytheville?) and follow Robinson Tract Road (Route 99) out of town for about 4 miles. Turn left on Cox's Hollow road (also paved) 0.1mile after you pass Wesley Chapel on roadside left. Follow Cox's Hollow 3 miles until it becomes unpaved and runs through the creek. After another 2-ish miles, the road ends at a turnaround off of which Tract Fork Trail begins at 12:00. Polecat branches off of TFT itself.

The local mountain biking community generally keeps the trails clear. Neither trail is good for distance views but both start along a lovely mountain stream, which we and our kids played in multiple times, and then through peaceful, restorative woods. I'd recommend both the hiking or biking. The Polecat spur is a lot more vertical and difficult to bike. I think I remember the trail length is 4.5 miles. If you're from out of town and wanting to bike, definitely call Mike @ Pulaski Bikes - he's the guru and chief trail-maintainer.

I really have no review yet, because this trail was difficult to even find ´I never found it. I was up this road on 2 different occasions. There are no signs stating a 707 turn off, or even a hiking trail. I eventually took a left at the Peak creek, and made my way across the mountain to Little Creek. This trail has virtually no signs or directions, have fun trying to find it.