Three Ridges Trail

Three Ridges Trail is a 13 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lyndhurst, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Situated in Central Virginia, just 30 miles southwest of Charlottesville, the hike has vista after vista along the Appalachian Trail, and many small waterfalls and pools on the Mau-Har Trail on Campbell Creek.

Very challenging. Oct 1 weekend. Girlfriend and I arrived Friday at 930 in a downpour and dark. Trail was highly visible with white blazes throught AT and blue for Mau-Har(?). After about half mile hike a sending we reached a camp on left to set for night. Next morning set out and took the AT trail at the maupin shelter to left. Its a challenging climb up bee mount and the three ridges with 40# packs. amazing view at the top tho!! after you do a handfull of descents thru rock gardens and long switchbacks. Stayed at Harper shelter area second night. next day set off on the mauhar trail which is about .6 mile away from shelter and he 3.6ish on the mauhar back to the maupin shelter area. The MH trail is difficult in the begining with steep and steady ascentions, and moderatetly challenging areas by the waterfall and creek area (if your not athletic or carry weight well).Then about 2.6 back to the car. I loved this trail but it was definitely an experience and you come out with huge sense of accomplishment. I would not recommend for first time backpackers mainly because you have to cover the distance thru hard trail or your stuck without water or good place to set up. That being said, you do have oppurtunites to fill up else where. Didn't have any bear problems but they're around according to signs. Great views and a good challenge await on this highly recommended trail that shares a few miles with the AT (Appalachian trail)

This is NOT a easy trail.. if you a slow hiking like I am, make this a three day hike.. don't get to see the Beautiful views cuz it was rain this weekend.. I was not able to finish the trail so I walk out to rt 56 and get a ride back to my car.. I'm a slow walking, and get hurt on the trail.. what I head the Mau-Har trail was very hard.. I don't go on this part cuz I want to make it out today.. but my dad and brother try to come help me and they said it was back.. I would say the other part is a hard trail

did it as a challenging one day. highly recommended to do the trail in reverse, taking mau-har at the split instead of the AT, if attempting this as a one-day. yields great view toward the end, and a mostly easy descent back to the parking area.

This hike was a very enjoyable test for our group. A strong majority of the trail is shaded, which helped greatly on a very warm weekend. Heavy packs began to take their toll half way through the loop, but we pressed on until reaching a beautiful area situated between a flowing stream, waterfall, and rock faces. Continuing out the next day was mostly uphill with a series of switchbacks, but less ground to cover from where we decided to camp. Overall, the terrain was equally challenging as it was beautiful. Three Ridges is perfect for a weekend excursion.

I'm an ultra trail runner and went with my 17 yr old teenager - we finished the 14m loop in just over 6 hrs and were toast by the end. Very challenging but worth it. I would rate the hike difficult based on completing in a day and elevation gains/descents - numerous spots to camp along the way, most notably at the top of the ridge-line and then later, along the creek with small waterfalls. We went the AT side first from the shelter (clockwise). Use poles. From the car to the shelter has a quarter mile straight climb - hang in there, it levels out (at least for awhile)...

Amazing hike and backpacking trail. Very challenging but well worth it! One of the most challenging trails on the East Coast.

Highly recommend!!

chalenging

Challenging

Too brutal of a hike for a beginner like me.It is a beast of a hike from reeds gap all the way around the loop of the A.T. trail and Mar-har trail.This trail is no joke! It has nice streams and waterfalls on the Mar-har trail and nice camp sites.The A.T. side has nice views. But the trail was just too much for us.The trail is very Rocky on both sides.

uphill can be very challenging at times, but an amazing view at top!

Always loved this hike. Quick overnighter last night.

Started at the Tye River Parking area headed North on the AT to the three ridges summit for our evening camping spot. Even though this was a very busy day there were only two groups in the area we camped, with plenty of other spots available. Most everyone camped around the shelters. We continued on the AT all the way to the Maupin Field Shelter then down the Mau-Har Trail. Some portions of the trail have some erosion so be careful! Especially if carrying 30+ pounds of gear. The Mau-Har trail section that runs along the creek with the waterfalls was fantastic. The trail had a very secluded feel to it. I would highly recommend this loop as an overnight.

Did an overnighter. The falls were nice but it was a lot of vertical for the little bit of view.

Went on a monday at the end of April in 2012. There was water once you got to the creek after bee mountain. Also an excellent campsite. Very peaceful area to camp in. Had a great time despite a little rain in the early morning. The fog on the mountain was absolutely gorgeous!

Goods:
-Moderate day-long loop
-Very nice scenic stops
-Convenient shelters / nice stops
-Fire pits are decently spaced apart
-Water fall
-Creeks with drinkable water at shelters
-Good elevation changes throughout

Others:
-Only 2 scenic spots, the rest of the trail is heavily canopied
-Walking close to roads for part of it
-Still within civilization since you can see houses

Great weekend getaway for any active minimalist. It's not a hard trail but you'll definitely get winded throughout it. By looping it the southern way first, you give yourself a nice dip, toward the end of the trail, for tired feet in the cold waterfall creek.

Went during April in 2010. Plenty of water and campsites. Good vistas