Thorton Hollow

Thorton Hollow is a 12 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sperryville, VA that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Long but satisfying loop. The hike is actually made up of several trails: AT, Thorton, Hull School, Fork Mountain, Piney Ridge. There are a few stream crossings along Thorton. The loops is moderate and not too strenuous. The Thorton trail has a few stream crossings, easy. There is the remains of an old car about half way down. The trails heading back up to Skyline are moderate. Towards the end on Piney Ridge there is the Dewey Cemetery.

Great review, awesome trail. I haven't seen the abandon car but I have only hiked this in the summer. I have also seen a lot of bears on this trail

Cool trail/loop as there is a little bit of everything. The only thing that is missing are the beautiful SNP views as this is mostly heavily wooded. I completed this in the middle of Winter so I probably saw a bit more that I would have, say, during the Summer. I started the hike at Elk Hollow around 2. Finished around 6. By about 5:30 I was on Piney Ridge and greated with a beautiful sunset...sun shining thru the trees. Had to use a headlamp for the last half hour of the hike.

I got on to the AT at Else Hollow and followed it south for about 2 miles, at which point it crosses Skyline.

Veer left and walk over to the Thorton Hollow parking lot. Follow the Thorton Hollow trail down for about 2 miles. There is an old frame about half way down Thorton Hollow. There are also a few stream crossings. Relatively easy.

At the bottom of the hollow, you'll hit the Hull School trail marker. Hang left and follow that til the Fork Mountain marker and follow that until Piney Ridge. It is a moderate, steady incline from the Hull trail marker. Nothing too strenuous.

You'll pass the Dewey Cemetery midway on the Piney Ridge trail.