Sugarloaf Loop Trail

Sugarloaf Loop Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bentonville, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

We started on the Piney Branch trail and decided to take this loop instead. The best part was walking a little bit of the Appalachian Trail. Very easy walk. Made the whole loop in about two hours.

Easy trail, lovely at this time of year! The leaves were vibrant and contrasted amazingly with the bright blue sky. We started where these directions had us drive to at Rattlesnake point overlook. From there we started on the Appalachian trail and then turned left onto Piney trail, then left on pole bridge link trail, left onto Sugarloaf trail which looped us back to the Appalachian trail and back to our starting point. The trail is pretty clearly marked you just have to remember to keep turning left, therefore completing the loop. But we passed many people so I think others start from another way but we enjoyed this way which brought us downhill and then up to the top of the ridge on the Appalachian trail. The slope is very gradual making this a very simple hike.

My friends and I were looking forward to a moderate hike for a few hours but we were actually kind of disappointed. I don't know what trail people are going on that is several miles, but if you go up and park in the east or west parking lot, it's a very short hike (took us like 10 mins) up to the top of the mountain. We ended up parking at the very bottom of the mountain and the walk up on the road was the longest part. We went up to watch the sunset and it was very beautiful, we were just disappointed by the brevity of our hike up.

First time on this trail. I love little devil stairs and i will use this trail to return to the skyline parking next time

Very nice trail but you do really need to have your map and or GPS with you. While there are trail markers, they are not plainly marked and don't always match up with trail names on the map. Other than that it was a very peaceful trail. I did run into a few people towards the end of the hike but that was around 9AM. I took longer than needed because I was doing nature photography. If the trail markers were better I'd give this a 4.

It is poorly marked on the maps and because of that I ended up doing a 10 mile hike instead of a 5 mile! If u hike this trail pay close attention to your markers!!!