Story of the Forest Trail

Story of the Forest Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Syria, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible from April until October.

Really nice family trail for the first half. I agree with previous reviewer about second half, paved trail that doesn't offer as much.

This was the perfect walk if you have small children! It wasn't completely flat but not too hilly for the toddlers. There was lots of interesting stuff for them to see and a small stream that runs through. My only suggestion and a change that we will make next time is that when you reach the Story of the Forest/Big Meadows junction (where the picnic table is) I recommend turning around and back-tracking. Otherwise the trail takes you to a paved path next to the road that is boring and not good for kids. Also, I noticed that someone has put waterfall pictures on here, that is only if you take this trail down to Dark Hollow Falls and isn't actually part of this trail.

I parked at Dark Hollow and took the trail up to the amphitheater. The roads closer to the camp grounds and amphitheater were closed.

Most of the trial was snow covered...probably 6-12". Made for a good leg workout.

I'm sure this is cake normally.

This one was too easy after some of the hiking we did up here. Very nice hike. I would like to do the ranger guided hike some time.

An easy nature trail at Big Meadows. Although it is named Story of the Forest, part of it is open. Lots of wildlife. It was mobbed with people today because of the 4th of July holiday.