Spy Rock Trail

Spy Rock Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Montebello, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This is an awesome hike. Perfect distance and great for overnight hikers as there are multiple camping spots along the trail. The hike really ends up being close to 16 miles total if you get here through the Crabtree falls route, but the view at the top is 100% worth it!

Good family hike. Trail is steep but easy to navigate and a good pair of walking shoes is all that is required. Need to scramble up the rock at the top - at 63 yrs old got on hands & knees for a few feet a couple of times to eliminate risk of slipping & falling. Was very windy & much colder on the top so be prepared for that. Fantastic views at the top.

awesome hike! super fun and great views!

This was my second time on the hike, and it was still fantastic. The trail is not long, but is fairly steep with a rock scramble on the top. The trail is confusing at times as it winds through private land and hits the AT, so be attentive on where you're going. A lot of AT hikers camp at the base of the rock scramble. The views are fantastic. I would say this is like the poor man's Old Rag.

My son Will and I did this trail today
At 72 I knew it was going to be a push for me
The 1.5 mile hike up required several stops for me but we did it
The final scramble to the top was tough but doable once I laid down my hiking stick and scrambled using hands and feet
The view and exhilaration made it a grrrrreeeest day!
The return trip was easy once we got back down to the AT

Spectacular view from the top. Use the map, trail is not marked well ended up walk an hour down the wrong trail before realizing...

Went on a perfect fall day. The hike is basically a straight shot up the steep side of a mountain. Not a lot going on while hiking up. When you get to the top of the trail, there is a primitive camping area where people were relaxing. Climb to the top of Spy Rock and you'll get an amazing panoramic view. Started our hike around 1 and were back in the car by 4. We spent probably the better part of an hour hanging out on top of the rock. Pretty busy on a Saturday afternoon but we really enjoyed the hike.

Brutal on a hot day. Take plenty of water. Well worth the hike! Absolutely beautiful at the top!!! Head to Devil's Backbone brewery after for a much deserved good time....

alright. nice spot at the top.

The view at the top was incredible. It was a perfect day, so the visibility was miles and miles. Take some time to enjoy...
The trail was uphill, but the grade was very manageable if you are in decent shape. It is a gravel/rocky road for most of the hike, so the footing can get a little loose. Also, the trail just doesn't have a "nature" feel to it.
All in all, it is about the view at the top.

Uphill all the way. Incredible view!!

Amazing view. Not a bad climb, and the scenery before summiting isn't the most exciting, but it is one of my favorite views in VA.