Spy Rock Trail

Spy Rock Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Montebello, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Good family hike. Trail is steep but easy to navigate and a good pair of walking shoes is all that is required. Need to scramble up the rock at the top - at 63 yrs old got on hands & knees for a few feet a couple of times to eliminate risk of slipping & falling. Was very windy & much colder on the top so be prepared for that. Fantastic views at the top.

awesome hike! super fun and great views!

This was my second time on the hike, and it was still fantastic. The trail is not long, but is fairly steep with a rock scramble on the top. The trail is confusing at times as it winds through private land and hits the AT, so be attentive on where you're going. A lot of AT hikers camp at the base of the rock scramble. The views are fantastic. I would say this is like the poor man's Old Rag.

My son Will and I did this trail today
At 72 I knew it was going to be a push for me
The 1.5 mile hike up required several stops for me but we did it
The final scramble to the top was tough but doable once I laid down my hiking stick and scrambled using hands and feet
The view and exhilaration made it a grrrrreeeest day!
The return trip was easy once we got back down to the AT

Spectacular view from the top. Use the map, trail is not marked well ended up walk an hour down the wrong trail before realizing...

Went on a perfect fall day. The hike is basically a straight shot up the steep side of a mountain. Not a lot going on while hiking up. When you get to the top of the trail, there is a primitive camping area where people were relaxing. Climb to the top of Spy Rock and you'll get an amazing panoramic view. Started our hike around 1 and were back in the car by 4. We spent probably the better part of an hour hanging out on top of the rock. Pretty busy on a Saturday afternoon but we really enjoyed the hike.

Brutal on a hot day. Take plenty of water. Well worth the hike! Absolutely beautiful at the top!!! Head to Devil's Backbone brewery after for a much deserved good time....

alright. nice spot at the top.

The view at the top was incredible. It was a perfect day, so the visibility was miles and miles. Take some time to enjoy...
The trail was uphill, but the grade was very manageable if you are in decent shape. It is a gravel/rocky road for most of the hike, so the footing can get a little loose. Also, the trail just doesn't have a "nature" feel to it.
All in all, it is about the view at the top.

Uphill all the way. Incredible view!!

Amazing view. Not a bad climb, and the scenery before summiting isn't the most exciting, but it is one of my favorite views in VA.

Going up to Sky Rock was challenging since the whole thing was uphill. It was more road than it was an actual hiking path as well. They do a good job of marking the path until you get to the campsite at the top. Then we couldn't figure out how to actually get up to the view and had to wait for some other people to go up and follow. Overall breathtaking view though! Plus going back down is way faster and easier.

It's was good!! Challenging for me but worth it!!

The view at the top was awesome. Fun rock scramble :)

Tough 1.5 up to the top, but by far the most beautiful hike and view I've seen in Virginia

This was a great trail. I took my two dogs on it with me. The markings on the trail were a bit confusing. Follow the AT until the 5 trail intersection. Once you arrive there you need to take a left towards the sign for Spy Rock. Once we hit the part of the trail before the scrambling there was a lot of confusion regarding where to go. Another hiker guided me towards the hardest scramble where I crouched under low trees and bushes. The trail was there but not kept up. Apparently there was an easier scramble to the right that I missed. After the scramble I had the most amazing breathtaking view...
Had to leave my dogs before the scrambling with my parents. I don't know if they can make the scrambling that is easier but they couldn't make what I did to the left of the firepit.
Overall: great hike. Bring hiking boots because of the change of terrain and scrambling. Bring lots of water. And a camera!