South River Falls Trail

South River Falls Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stanardsville, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from March until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Park in the South River Picnic Area where the trail begins near the third parking area. The milepost is 62.8.

I went at the worst possible time and the waterfall was none existent. It was summer and hadn't rained for awhile. I plan on doing this trail again. I drank my 3 liters of water by the half way point and was drenched in sweat. Definitely won't be going during the summer again.

Great hike. only went to overlook but that was enough for 1 day.

Great trail. Amazing fallls. Recommended to go all the way not to just the look out

Nice trail, wore me out going back up with my 2 year old. But, great hike to the over look and back only, didn't go further. Saw a bunch of deer, too!

A nice morning or afternoon walk. Some good resting spots along the creek and a good viewing area of the falls. Falls not very close. Wish there was access to the bottom of the falls.

Great hike and for me was my hardest hike of the year but it was soo worth it. Take a picnic and plan on spending time at the falls with plenty of room to sit in the water.

Very pretty but rocky terrain, especially to get down to the falls.

It was tough for me in some spots. The trail is well kept. The pool was nice and cold and provided a nice break for my feet. Not bad for my first hike.

Really fun and easy hike down to a beautiful waterfall. Moderate uphill hike back to your car.

Great trail that takes you right to.the base of the 3rd largest waterfall in SNP. Also on overlook platform further away. Saw a rattlesnake sunbathing on the rocks by the platform. Will do this one again for sure!

Great trail that is well taken care of.

Great trail. Definitely moderate.
We took the foretold back - made it longer. Uphill all the way back! Waterfall was beautiful and everyone swam as well! Great on a hot day Recommend this hike!

I enjoyed this one. Did the fire road return due to time constraints, which made it considerably easier. Falls were lovely!

Great day hike even for the moderately in shape non hiker. Going in is a pretty easy downhill stroll. Take the time and hike all the way to the bottom of the falls, it's worth it! The hike out is pretty tough if
You're not in decent shape.

This loop has two distinct flavors – my wife and I started with the downhill along the streams all the way then to the base of the fall. It was absolutely majestic with the views and sound of the stream for most of the way. The trail was well marked with signs. We took the return trip on the fire road, which was the steady incline all the way back to the South River Picnic area parking lot. I believe the fire road return trip was better for us – we can’t imagine walking back up the rocky, steeper trail along the stream. We finished the trip in less than 4 hours. We can’t wait to come back with grandkids in the summer – I presume it will be quite crowded. We only ran into 2 groups today.