Skyline Drive

Skyline Drive is a 26.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Front Royal, VA and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and scenic driving and is accessible year-round.

26.2 miles 2591 feet Point to Point

beautiful!!!

Drove the entire length stopping at 69 of the 70 overlooks then returned to Waynesboro, VA by way of the Shenandoah Valley. Both directions were beautiful from the top of the ridge to the valley floor. Great views looking down and up.

scenic driving

We are here more than any other drive. I love Skyline Drive.

Favorite park around. Drive is gorgeous. Trails are great and something for everyone. Get ready to see some bear

scenic driving

Beautiful views of the Appalachians. I nice way to start a day trip.

scenic driving

A very scenic drive for nearly the entire length. I certainly recommend spending multiple days, enjoying the overlooks and exploring the many trails. Be certain to enter the park with a full tank of gas, so you need not worry.

scenic driving

Beautiful drive and overlooks. We have hiked some of the trails off of here. Great for meteor showers too. Busy during "Leaf Peeping Season" but the colors are always wonderful.

scenic driving

I have done this on foot and many times by car. The road follows the mountain peeks and ridges so the views just keep coming. Be sure to eat in the restaurant at Skyland.

Although this is a wonderful drive, the A trail runs along the drive all the way. By foot is a wonderful way to see it. I love to do my meals on a rock with a view.

scenic driving

Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park is a great place for car sightseeing any time of year, but is most beautiful during the Spring and Fall. If you live in the D.C. metropolitan area, this is an amazing (and close!) place to go to see some beautiful scenery. There are plenty of places to stop for photos and a handful of places to stop to have a picnic.

Unbelievably beautiful with a continuous view and areas to park, take photographs, have a picnic, etc, are all over the place. PLEASE DO NOT GO OVER THE 30 MPH SPEED LIMIT. It's really easy to forget that this road is meant for sightseeing and not getting from point A to point B.

scenic driving

Great drive....but busy in the fall since the fall colors make the park very popular. Still, it's worth fighting the crowds to see this amazing piece of America. Both times we drove it we saw bears....some in the trees and some eating off of the apple trees. The speed limit is a nice relaxing 35 MPH through countless incredible overlooks showcasing the beautiful Shenandoah valley. Take the time to stop at one to view the sunset.

I love this area and all the trails. Everytime I visit here I pick a new trail to walk. Whiteoak canyon, Hawksbill, Dark Hollow falls, and Lewis falls trail. Stoney Man is my next challenge. I also give myself 3 hours because I never know how steep it is to me or how rocky they can be. Not to dissuade anyone. It's wonderful to see and to reward yourself with spectacular views and cool waterfalls. Good hiking day trippers. Tall walking stick/water bottle/ small digital camera/ safe hiking boots.

scenic driving

How could anyone not love this drive at any time of year. Though I am fanatically devoted to New England in the fall, this would be my top alternative. One of the great things about Skyline Drive is the numerous places to stop and enjoy the vistas. These stops also make the traffic bearable. Even when the park isn't very crowded, the two-lane thoroughfare attracts slow drivers like a magnet. With limited opportunities to pass, the pull-offs mean you aren't stuck behind anyone for long. It's not that I recommend being a speeding Griswold, but it can be a really long several hours of driving if you don't stop to enjoy the scenery.

A wonderful drive with beautiful views and Excellent hikes. Interesting to see the different stages of fall all in one day just going through the changes in altitude. The 35 mph makes things go a little slow but with bikes and people stopping in curves (to look at bears and other wildlife) where you'll have a hard time seeing I do suggest taking it seriously.