Piedmont Overlook Trail

Piedmont Overlook Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Delaplane, VA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful wooded area, strenuous uphill hiking.

The cool thing about this trail is it connects with a few others. Hiked Piedmont Overlook to Ambassador Whitehouse to Appalachian South Trail to North Ridge to South Ridge and then finished on Boston Mill Road to connect the loop. Although it was overcast, the views were beautiful. I would love to hike this trail again. My roommate also brought his dog, a few rocky parts, but very well maintained trails and mostly grass fields. Stopped at Paris View for some time just before connecting with the Appalachian Trail.

Beautiful views. Exquisitely maintained. Windflowers. Benches. Memorial garden. AT hikers and other friendly people.

The hike starts off going uphill through a cow pasture. I'd say the first 1/3 of the hike was just all uphill. Some nice views along the way up though! I went on a Sunday morning on a holiday weekend, and there were plenty of people, but mostly spaced out. There are so many trails that I only ran into a dozen or so other people. Overall, I enjoyed the hike and would do it again!

Fun trail. North ridge trail offers more of a challenge.

Great trail. Vertical climb all the way up to the top. Beautiful view!

Offered great views on a clear, hot day. Wildflowers in bloom, blackberries and raspberries growing on the side of the trail and lush undergrowth this time of year. Always worth the walk.

We really enjoyed this hike with our dog. The trails are marked well and the views are awesome.

Great hike, extremely well marked and plenty of options to wander around. The map on this site isn't the only option, probably 20+ miles worth of trails scattered around.

A very quick hike with a nice payoff. The views are beautiful all the way up and down this one. A perfect family hike. If you're in the mood for a longer hike, you can quickly connect to several other trails from Piedmont Overlook, including the AT. We hit the North Ridge/South Ridge Loop for a nice meander back to the Sky Meadows parking lot.

Nice short trails and maintain really good

Only gave myself enough time to do the Piedmont Overlook Trail. Smooth, but steep hike up to the top for a view overlook of the park.

I was pleasantly surprised by this park. I started with the Piedmont Trail and continued on to the Ambassador Whitehead trail. That met up with the Appalachian Trail. I continued south on that and met up with the North Ridge trail. When I came to an intersection I decided to go back on the South Ridge trail. The hike was strenuous but not difficult. The 1st .6 miles on the Piedmont Trail will take you up and up and you'll get a great view of the valley below. I didn't see any animals and for the 1st two hours I didn't see a soul. I like it that way.

There are enough trails here to make multiple trips. I definitely want to come back in the spring and see it when everything is in bloom.

We've hiked here for a few years, and it's one of the best in Virginia, IMO. The trails are incredibly well marked and maintained. A pleasure to hike there, thought I'd rate this one a Moderate.

I did a two-day/one night here at Sky Meadows. You will hike in between .75 and 1.25 miles to the campsites. Overnighters park in a different area of the park near the entrance. You will hike in on Gap Run Trail to the camping area. Sky Meadows says they have primitive camping only. I would hardly call Sky Meadows primitive. They provide cut fire wood for 5 dollars (honor system) at different locations thought the campsites, non-potable well water (you will need a filtration system - its slightly brown coloring should be a clue), tent flats are in great condition with small pebbles, even a bag hang is provided. Picnic tables are provided at each site as well. There is very little animal activity in the camp area. There are some signs that there may be some coyote in the area but no howling at dusk or dawn. Sky Meadows seems like a busy place. I was camping in 30 degree weather and I had at least four other campers near by. Bathrooms are actual cinderblock buildings with doors and toilet paper provided (well maintained). NOTE: you are not allowed fires until after 4PM. As for the hiking its a really pretty trail. I hiked out to the Snowden ruins, then on to the south trail then looped back though on the both trail back to the campsites. All in all I would guess it is a 6-7 mile hike. After about 10 minutes on the trail you forget how close you are to civilization. The north trail is beautiful. I would strongly suggest looping from the south trail and back on the north trail. The north trail is rated as strenuous but is fairly easy when headed down hill. Careful some areas are rocky and there are a few stream crossings. These are well maintained and you should have to wade though any water. Over all the trip was worth it. It would be a great starter location for people who are beginning backpackers. I’m am considering coming back with my wife who doesn’t care for backcountry camping. This is a great compromise. I have a video review here: http://youtu.be/0k54o6gxT7U

One of the best marked trails of the ones in NoVA that I've done so far, at least the western trails. Coming down N. Ridge there were turns and parts that made me wonder if I were still on the trail. But then I'd see a marker soon after. I did N. Ridge to Ambassador Whitehouse to Appalacian to S. Ridge to N. Ridge. Coming from west coast, I forgot how humid east coast gets so take lots of water. Wonderful views, especially at the uppermost clearings. Great trails.

8mi / 4hr little lany, fun trail