Signal Knob Loop Trail

Signal Knob Loop Trail is a 9.8 mile loop trail located near Fort Valley, VA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Strasburg, VA: Take SR 55 east for about 5 miles to Waterlick. Then take SR 678 south for 5 miles to the Elizabeth Furnace Recreation Area. The trailhead is at the Bear Wallow / Signal Knob parking lot on SR 678 approximately 1 mile north of the Elizabeth Furnace Picnic Area.

Hike the loop in one day -- the GWNF map says the loop is 10.6miles. Headed East first, where the trail is the rockiest. It's definitely a rocky trail -- especially for the first five miles from the east side of the parking lot to Signal Knob. If headed up in the fall, the leaves make it difficult to choose steps wisely -- but also provide some amazing views and gorgeous colors. Great loop. There is a bit of trail on an old fire road (between signal knob and the blue blazed trail). Otherwise, almost all the rest of the trail is in the middle of covered Forrest. Well marked. Easy to follow. Impressed with anyone who mountain bikes the loop. It would not be easy.

This hike was a great technical challenge for me. I have a shattered ankle and ACL. It tested my abilities and I was able to unearth my limitations. If you are following the directions on this website you will start with an accent that keeps going until the summit. The trail is well kept and is almost 98 percent rocky. There are no large scrambles but the soft and flat ground is rarely seen. If there are no rocks then there are roots. Previously I did Billy Goat and was using it as a gauge of time. Big mistake. This is nothing like Billy Goat. Signal Knob is the real deal. I found the blazes marked well. I brought a print out of the directions and they came in handy. There are a few off shoots but I wanted to concentrate on the main loop trail. I found the docents much more difficult to traverse than the accents. I woke up muscles that have been dormant during the descents. Definitely recommend trekking poles although we passed a few hikers without. Got to the trailhead about 9am and back to the parking lot by 3:30pm. I highly recommend this trail for those who want to test their bodies and others that just want to have a good time.

Great loop. Two assents actually. Great on trail camping as well with fire pits and sites abundant. The second assent up Bear Wallow is quite demanding with a 3/4 mile demanding climb. Nice quite off trail camping is very close at Elizabeth Furnace Campground.

We stretched this into a two-day trip in early August: arrived Friday evening, parked across the road from the Elizabeth Furnace Campgrounds (Mudhole Gap trailhead/Purple). We camped at a campground near Signal Knob trailhead the first night. The trail is very rocky, you'll definitely need sturdy hiking boots if you're carrying heavy equipments. Tree leaves in the summer makes the scenery not so great on the trail. We went a little further down orange trail and camped by Strasburg Reservoir the second night. Bring more water than you think you'll need, you won't get water on the loop. There are some clear creeks near the reservoir, and fair amount of berries. No wildlife sighting aside from a gecko.

Started at 9:30 in the morning. Never did this trail before. Really enjoyable trail going up the east side of the mountain was my favorite all the way up to the signal tower. Saw several lizards and great views pretty much all the way until just past the tower. Didn't care much for the descent from the tower using the gravel road, it is efficient. The blue blaze trail is really long. If it is your first time definitely take a picture of the trail guide at the trail head. Definitely would do again. Recommended poles and boots because it is really rocky.

We decided to break up the hike to test our new backpacks and to see if our Boston Terriers could handle the distance. By choice of our own, we hiked at 3pm on a hot day in July. Our dogs did fine, there are great campsites. We hiked three miles the first evening. Being all uphill and rocky, it was a slow go. We stopped right before the intersection of the Meneka trail. We set up our tent and camped for the night. The next day we decided the full loop with our dogs might not be wise so we cut across at the Meneka and then caught back up to the trail. While we had a great time and enjoyed the hike, we did not make it to Signal Knob, but the other views were adequate and when there wasn't an overlook there was really nothing to look at. Also FYI, there is no water on the trail so if it is hot bring plenty.

if you have weak ankles, hiking boots would be recommended. the first talk to the TV tower is very Rocky and a lot of loose rocks. really nice walk hope you all enjoy

Hiked it counterclockwise with my wife. The first half to the transmission tower is hard. Not a lot of overlooks but when you have them, views are beautiful. Footing can be difficult. Lots of rocks to deal with. Good hiking shoes a must. Bring more water than you think you need. Great hike and an even better workout.

Great trail! Perfect workout! Definately a harder trail but worth it! Amazing views!

Loved the mini waterfalls and surroundings. Beautiful. Very rocky.

This track is unique in the sense, you are walking on stones half of the time, views are not very clear but trail is nicely maintain, overall the trail is easy but long good walk. Very nice camping spots in all the way. The walk and hike is easy but long.

Hiked the loop today. Definitely rocky the first half but great views. Started hiking at about 9:30, so not too many people at that time. I took a shortcut at the top not realizing it was - so I think I only did 8.7 miles. Lots of leaves on the ground so some slippery places, but overall a good hike.

A nice trail to hike during the fall with all the autumn colors.

Hiked up to the Fort Valley Overlook. There were so many rocks that my foot never touched a flat piece of ground. Was surprised when a bike passed me on the way up! Returned on same trail to Signal Knob parking lot. Took 3.5 hrs. Decided I am too old and slow for this hike.

Great hike. Not so many views w full foilage but great overlooks.

Awesome trail. Longer one and can be a bit strenuous for those that aren't regular hikers. Nice scenery and wildlife. Quiet and peaceful. AT&T cell worked for the most part

Great hike and pet friendly. Nice work on the new maps and benches put out on the trail~

The directions to the trailhead are wrong. The trail begins on the East side of the mountain off of the Skyline Drive. It's soon after the entrance to Washington National Forest. After you enter, it's roughly 2 miles down the road. There's a large parking lot on the right side.

The views are great. It's a great Fall hike. Bring a map since the ones on location are weak.

If you're looking to trail run- it's tough here. Some places are fine, but the trail is very rocky with jagged rocks, erosion in a few places and loose rock further up the mountain.

I brought the dog and he loved it. Bring plenty of water since it's somewhat steep, but definitely pet-friendly if you trust your pet to be smart.

Great trail! However, the alltrails.com driving directions are not correct. We had a terrible time finding the trail but we did finally. Great place, lovely temperature, and really wonderful stream.

hiked this on March 15th...actually was very crowded since a group had a race that day. still a great hike...tough on the ankles and very rocky. small overlook at top...nice view, but can't touch Old Rag.