Scheier Natural Area Trails

Scheier Natural Area Trails is a 2.9 mile trail located near Palmyra, VA and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Nice easy 3 mile trail that is less than 2 miles from my home. Haven't met anyone on the trail and rarely see cars in the lot when I drive by. This won't challenge anyone but I like it because it's so close to home.

First hike in my new area! It's Scheier Natural Area, a 35 minute drive South from Charlottesville.

The drive is beautiful.
It's flat, which is nice for deconditioned people like me. It could also be good for sprints.
There are two loop options, 3 miles and 1.5 miles.
There are no other people here, so it would be a great place to walk a dog off leash.
It runs beside a stream. There is also an offshoot that has a picnic area overlooking three man made ponds.

It's flat, which is kinda boring.

I have hiked this trail many times. I have never encountered other hikers on the trail. One of the interesting features on this trail is across the road from the parking area - a series of connected terraced ponds that overflow from one to the next. This is a good trail for beginners.