Rappahannock River Trail

Rappahannock River Trail is a 8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fredericksburg, VA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

Miles and miles of trails that follow the Rappahanock River and surround the rock quarry. There's a tunnel that goes under I-95, trails made of logs, nice over look points, and cardiac uphills. Not a very fast trail, but technical at times with a lot of roots, rocks, and drainage problems.

Enjoy this trail!!!

Absolutely LOVE these trails! Myself and my husband have been running these trails for years and there are far more than the 8 miles of trails listed. These trails are the very best is the Fredericksburg area, there are nice easy trails for beginners along the river, and much harder trails with good incline throughout the trails by simply heading "left" off the main river trail. I'm pretty sure this All Trails website is incorrect though, pretty certain these trails are not horse friendly... I wish they were!

Very clean and safe, lots of bikes and people. Interesting geocaches and lots of birds

Fantastic running trail! Super tough on some of the uphill portions but great views. Definitely watch out for bicycles.

The beginning from Old Mill park is an easy paved trail. Great for walking/running/rollerblading/scootering/strollers and easy bike riding. Too many people for avid cyclists to get any real speed. The trail splits from the Heritage Trail after the Rappahannock River Center. If you follow the Heritage Trail it stays paved as above, if you follow the river trail it is unpaved single track great for hiking/trail running/off-road cycling.

Wasn't crowded. Single pass trails. Stay alert for bikers!

Had a great time on the trail this morning. I walked 6 of the eight miles nice views of the river all the way through.

I had a wonderful morning hiking six of the eight miles on the Rappahannock River trail. Most of the trail offered splendid views of the river with some very close to the water. I saw a Blue Heron sitting quietly on a rock and at a small movement of mine the big bird swooped off down the river. I started my hike at the Virginia Outdoor Center where the Friends of the Rappahannock are on Fall Hill Avenue and eventually got on the river trail when I reached a quarry. There was some road construction on Fall Hill Ave and it wasn't easy to find the beginning of the trail as marked at All Trails. I parked on a side street just across from the Friends off of Fall Hill Ave and I think it was Normandy Avenue. As I was making my way up to the quarry I came upon a sign that said the trail was closed because a bridge was out but I just walked around to left and was able to continue up to the quarry. I did the hike in August and was out on the trail by 7:30 A.M in order to escape the high temperatures that would arrive later in the morning. I would definitely do this hike again because I love river hikes. During my hike I only saw one other person who was cycling.

Scenic river walk. Paved & marked.

This is a good trail for running providing wide and single tracks.

Fun trail, went up and down every passage we could find and it was about 9 miles total, some of the trails are roped off (wondering if that's where the other 6 miles of trails are) but it was fun. Ticks are rough right now and the quarry trail was closed. Entrance was difficult to find but we eventually made it. A good hike, relatively level terrain most of the way through.

I come to this trail about once a week on the Mountain Bike. Depending on my mood and activity level that day there are a multitude of trails to choose from for an moderately easy cruise to strenuous uphills and treacherous downs that are not for the faint of heart or inexperienced.

The trail overall is well kept singletrack with log obstacles and little rock jumps here and there. No man-made banks but the constant riding does a good job at curving high speed corners. The trail isn't marked as far as trail heads and where things split so head to my helpful link below and download and print the map from FAMBE. Even with it it's hard to know which path is which if your not good with navigation.

That being said, if you do get lost just follow the water downstream to get back to the I-95 bridge or upstream to get out over by Celebrate Virginia and Wegmans. So its not hard to be found! Also watch out for the Quarry, the water is nice but plenty have taken tumbles into the drink and I've seen police dragging it with nets so be aware of what you might be falling into!

As with any trail there are other's on it, so be careful in spots, the sound of water or people with headphones make it hard to hear oncoming bikes that may be speeding through. There are several blind corners where I could foresee someone flying through and plowing into a less skilled rider or hiker with headphones.

I believe FAMBE is going to head out to post trail head signs or tag them with colored ribbon or something so it is easier to identify which head is which so stay tuned.

AS always clean up your trash! Lots of beer drinking litterers around there leaving cans and smokes in spots and knocking branches into the path. Be respectful to those who MTB, one loose stick could spell disaster!

Nice hike. Hard to find parking. Also trail entrance hard to spot. Walk along the water. Go back to quarry then hit the trails. Pretty steep in some spots. Loved it!

Steep ravines and washout didn't detract from this fun hike w my daughter and her Beagle. Plenty of flat-- the steep ravines can actually be avoided if you prefer. Locals know more than one way into the trail and can be shorter or longer depending on the time you have to devote.

Amazing sight to visit doesn't really all the vibe it deserves roots rocks washed out spots over all it has allot of mtb problems and way more activities around it also check out alum springs great spot not to bike but climb and hike

Great hike, nice scenes, log hops.

Nice trail for the area. A lot of different routes to choose from. Still has some trees down, bad root patches, and a lot of log hops. It's overall a good trail. Still worth the drive to go to fountain head though.