riven rock mountain trail

riven rock mountain trail is a 0.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hinton, VA. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and rock climbing.

rock climbing

Simple trail for beginner bouldering. Many rock forms along the trail to look at. Rock maze at the top

address to Pauline as soon as you cross the creek break off of the yellow Trail to the right it is a non blazed Trail that will go up the ridge and you'll find those rocks

Thought I'd try this hike since I was staying just down the road in Rawley Springs. Found what we thought was the trailhead at the dead end of Rawley Springs Road and immediately went across the river to follow the trail and yellow blazes. While we saw lots of cool boulders and boulder fields, we never came across anything like the photos posted here. We basically followed the yellow blazed trail for over an hour which included a pretty steep incline up a mountain that seemed to keep on going.
As I typically hike 2- 2.5 miles per hour, clearly we did something wrong. But, it was a nice hike!
Does anyone have better directions to the trailhead, or know the name of the yellow-blazed trail?

we always called it the maze the place is awesome it's like something out of Lord of the Rings

Very Rock path and hard to follow at times! But the hike was worth seeing the rock crevasses. Def enjoyed our hike!

Walked the river around the campground. Very nice rail trail

The trail is difficult to find, follow signs to national forest and park in the dead end. Walk the wide trail to Black Run and cross it-there are a couple of good places. You'll find a trail, one entrance is marked with a brown stake with red paint, you'll want to bear to the right. Almost immediately the trail becomes indiscernible except for some stacked stones among the boulders. After that it's fairly easy to follow, though a narrow path. As the trail goes through several rock mazes you can take numerous routes to navigate them.

The formations are truly awesome, this is a hidden gem!

I am not sure whether we found the trail. We followed the well-marked sign that said "TRAIL" once inside Riven Rock Park, but it ended at the road, clearly less than .78 mile. We crossed the run and explored Rawley Springs, but it didn't feel like a hike. Nice day for the kids to play in the water though. We never saw the formations depicted in the photographs here. I'm not sure if it's fair for me to rate.