Riprap Trail

Riprap Trail is a 8.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Crozet, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

First off this trail is actually 9.8 miles. Whomever added this must not have recorded the whole loop. That said, it is a great day hike. We started off counter clockwise to Calvary Rock. The almost 60-foot scramble to the top is well worth the 360 degree views, then on to Chimney Rock and the downhill trek to a small waterfall and a swimming hole. The water was a tad bit cold .. but nice to soak the feet in for a few minutes. If you are brave, as my companion was, you can even take a plunge into the waters (I have video - it's hilarious - LOL!) The climb back up is definitely challenging. Definitely recommend!

start from the bottom and it's an easy hike for all ages

One of the best loops in Shenandoah. Good distance, variety, and views. If you're only doing one decent hike in the south park, this is the one I'd do.

The Riprap loop is a great trail. With only ~2000 ft of elevation change over nearly 10 miles it is very approachable and you can really push the pace if you desire. It also includes a ton of diverse scenery: Rocky outcropping, small caves, scenic ridge lines, river crossings, and waterfalls.

I was able to do the loop in 3:11 with a 40# pack, but I only stopped once for a trail lunch (about 10 minutes). Figure 4-8 hours depending on pace and how much stopping to enjoy the wonderful scenery.

*the loop is actually 9.8 miles*
the sign says it'll take 8.25 hours, but a friend and i did it in 6!! it has really pretty overlooks, and the waterfall is cool (you have to go off the path to really see it), but the hike back up is a bit challenging for sure. bring lots of water and food!! and watch for snakes!!

Five of us went out on this hike on a Monday in July and we absolutely loved it! Challenging hike but do able! We camped near the swimming hole at a nice camp site! The nearby stream was great! We took the route where you see the chimney rock first and would recommend going down the AT part first, camping, and then visiting chimney rocks on your way out for an easier hike! I would highly recommend this trail!

It was a beautiful day and the walk was very easy. We started at the bottom in crimora. The kids and I only wanted to get to the water hole. It was beautiful and cold.

Probably one of my most favorite trails!

We did the whole circuit. If I had it to do again, I´d skip the AT and Wildcat trail and just do the Rip Rap in and back. All the good views, some nice cascading waterfalls and a swimming hole are on it. Parking area is at mile marker 90 on Skyline Drive.

A nice long hike with great views. Be prepared to walk through some rivers.

Love this trail. The changes in elevation can be pretty dramatic but the outlooks make the first part worth the hike. The pool at the bottom is beautiful. This trail is usually very busy so get there early.

I have done this hike every October with my dad and a group of locals from cville for the last twenty years. beautiful hike with awesome views. first stretch of the A trail is tough then it's not bad til you get past chimney rock.

Great going back this weekend

Great switch back trail. Nice over looks
Lots of check points....

beautiful hike. great views. can't wait to go back