Rappahannock River Trail

Rappahannock River Trail is a 8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fredericksburg, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

Miles and miles of trails that follow the Rappahanock River and surround the rock quarry. There's a tunnel that goes under I-95, trails made of logs, nice over look points, and cardiac uphills. Not a very fast trail, but technical at times with a lot of roots, rocks, and drainage problems.

Easy way to get away from it all as it's close to downtown. Very little incline unless you break into the woods at the far west end, so great for people with bad knees. Path will be mostly muddy with slight rain in area.

I've done this trail a handful of times and I love the sound of the river makes this feel like you're further away from town.

The trail has quite a few bikers and it gets narrow at times, so beware.

For the full experience, start out by parking in small parking lot at corner of Fall Hill and Normandy. There is a paved path that takes you under Fall Hill road where you can walk over to tubing/kayak company. Stay on gravel/dirt road on left side of those businesses for about a half mile with the canal water on your left. You will go through some gates made of one bar and hit the trail portion at a circular clearing.

A very nice trail for a quick 8 mile run!

Enjoy this trail!!!

Absolutely LOVE these trails! Myself and my husband have been running these trails for years and there are far more than the 8 miles of trails listed. These trails are the very best is the Fredericksburg area, there are nice easy trails for beginners along the river, and much harder trails with good incline throughout the trails by simply heading "left" off the main river trail. I'm pretty sure this All Trails website is incorrect though, pretty certain these trails are not horse friendly... I wish they were!

Very clean and safe, lots of bikes and people. Interesting geocaches and lots of birds

Fantastic running trail! Super tough on some of the uphill portions but great views. Definitely watch out for bicycles.

The beginning from Old Mill park is an easy paved trail. Great for walking/running/rollerblading/scootering/strollers and easy bike riding. Too many people for avid cyclists to get any real speed. The trail splits from the Heritage Trail after the Rappahannock River Center. If you follow the Heritage Trail it stays paved as above, if you follow the river trail it is unpaved single track great for hiking/trail running/off-road cycling.

Wasn't crowded. Single pass trails. Stay alert for bikers!

Had a great time on the trail this morning. I walked 6 of the eight miles nice views of the river all the way through.

I had a wonderful morning hiking six of the eight miles on the Rappahannock River trail. Most of the trail offered splendid views of the river with some very close to the water. I saw a Blue Heron sitting quietly on a rock and at a small movement of mine the big bird swooped off down the river. I started my hike at the Virginia Outdoor Center where the Friends of the Rappahannock are on Fall Hill Avenue and eventually got on the river trail when I reached a quarry. There was some road construction on Fall Hill Ave and it wasn't easy to find the beginning of the trail as marked at All Trails. I parked on a side street just across from the Friends off of Fall Hill Ave and I think it was Normandy Avenue. As I was making my way up to the quarry I came upon a sign that said the trail was closed because a bridge was out but I just walked around to left and was able to continue up to the quarry. I did the hike in August and was out on the trail by 7:30 A.M in order to escape the high temperatures that would arrive later in the morning. I would definitely do this hike again because I love river hikes. During my hike I only saw one other person who was cycling.

Scenic river walk. Paved & marked.