Ramseys Draft Trail

Ramseys Draft Trail is a 13 mile loop trail located near Mt Solon, VA. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

13.0 miles Loop

Directions from Staunton, VA: Take U.S. 250 west for approximately 10-12 miles to a recreation area on your left. Park there and cross the road to begin at the trailhead.

I've been hiking Ramsey's Draft Wilderness area for 15 years and this last trip (April 16') was the best. The weather was perfect (High 60's Day & Low 40's Night) and Harscrabble Knob was no disappointment. Hiking the draft from the Mountain House to the knob is a beautiful and fun hike. The view from Harscrabble towards Staunton is worth it both at night and during the day. In my opinion Bald Ridge Trail is less than enjoyable. I'll take the draft trail up and back every time. Keep hiking!

fly fishing

I brought my fly-fishing gear and caught several native brook trout.

awesome trail for an overnight, great places to camp alongside the river. Be mindful of the weather, it had rained a few days before we got there and the river was waist deep in spots...you'll have to cross the river several times on Ramsey's Draft trail.

Great hike if you don't mind some rock-hopping to cross the draft a few times. The dying old-growth hemlock trees are something to behold. The GW wilderness has several loop trail options.