Northwest River Park Trail

Northwest River Park Trail is a 3.9 mile loop trail located near Chesapeake, VA. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and camping.

The west side loop seemed to be a little lower elevation and therefore a little more muddy, while the east side loop was high and dry.

One of my favorite parks in the area. I have hiked every trail in it.

took my kids there, over the summer. it was great. the trails weren't too tough for us, there was tons to see, and overall, it's a great place! can't wait to get back there.

The Molly Mitchell trail is so beautiful and a bit challenging should someone run it, because there is a lot of swampy land and roots. It was bone dry when I was there, and I was hiking, so it was just a pleasant walk in the woods. The only downfall is the toll road to/from anywhere else in VA.

Cute little park. It was completely desolate when I went on a Friday evening. I ran the Molly Mitchell trail and the adjoining access road, which wasn't too bad. It was scenic, mostly, but there a lot of roots on the trail which actually do provide a nice little challenge.

Hiked the Molly Mitchell trail yesterday. Beautiful trail and no bugs, but extremely muddy. Both my daughter and the dog needed baths when we got home. Not many people out hiking though so it was nice and peaceful.

Nice park though a distance if you're getting there from Northern Chesapeake or other cities in Hampton Roads for a day... and the facilities/activities available are probably the best in the city... You can do about 8 miles without repeating trails, but I did a 15 mile hike doubling the woodland ones twice and one 3 times... just do them from the other direction to make it interesting... And if you're a Geocacher? ...even more interesting. Definently plan for some mud after any rain...

Hiked this trail after the rain had stopped for a few days, however the Molly Mitchell Trail was still fairly washed out. Trail was still fairly well marked and not crowded, so it was a nice escape from First Landing. Just be aware the hard-pack trails can be muddy and you'll have to go around in several spots. Dog friendly, though he definitely required a wash afterwards!

Camping / activity areas seemed very nice. Boat rentals and a quite river to paddle up.

There are about three or four trails within this Park. I walked the Molly Mitchell trail, of which the first 1/8 mile is wider and smoother for handicap access. The rest was basic trail through the woods. If you go after a rain, bring boots as it gets rather muddy in places.