North Mountain Trail to Elliot Knob

North Mountain Trail to Elliot Knob is a 9.8 mile out and back trail located near Fairfield, VA. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for mountain biking.

9.8 miles Out & Back

Great Hike. It can be a bit of a workout but well worth the view!

There are many changes in scenery along this hike. There are several falls in the area most of which were frozen over which was amazing. Lots of water sources. When you shift to a small trail the growth is think on each side of the trail for a couple of miles. There isn't really any place to get off the trail when on Hollow trail. Blazes are clearly marked and the trail is in really good condition. Once you get on the last leg the trail will open up to an old vehicle path that was used to get to the fire lookout. This is a steep incline. I will spend the last mile in a half climbing about 1500ft. This makes this trail slightly harder than a moderate in my opinion but we also had two days of gear on our backs and lots of snow on the ground. Beware as you near the top, winds are extremely high. At night we were experiencing approx. 35mph winds (tore a tarp in half) so come prepared.

Over all I loved the challenge and the rewarding sites made it well worth the trip. Even in January we ran into three hiking groups. It seems this is a well traveled trail.

See a video review at: