Mount Rogers Trail

Mount Rogers Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Troutdale, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I hiked from Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park to the Mount Rogers summit (November 2015) on a beautiful and unseasonably warm day. The many open views are spectacular. I particularly enjoyed crossing Wilburn Ridge. I took the more direct and rocky route on the way out and the somewhat less challenging 'bypass' on the way back. The trail also takes you through Rhododendron Gap and by the Thomas Knob Shelter (shortly before the Summit Spur). I wish I had known about the second marker at the summit...I will be sure to find it on a return trip! After descending from the summit, I followed the Mount Rogers Trail a little further before heading back to the park. I will probably hike in from the Elk Garden section next time.

I wouldn't consider this trail "hard." I think moderate would be the maximum difficulty level this trail deserves. I went on Black Friday and I only saw 9 other people who had the same plan to avoid shopping at all costs.
I went with my 9 year old husky and a 25 lb pack and we finished right at 5 hours, with stops for breaks and pictures. There were pony droppings on the trail, but we didn't see any.
It was really cool passing through different ecosystems along the trail. One side of the mountain features a more dry climate and the other is very moist with differences in vegetation.
I'll definitely be going back in the spring/summer

Hiked from Massie Gap and Grayson Highlands State Park. Wind chill at times was as low as 7F degrees. Paid $7 out of state parking fee [year round], and parked right across the field from the Rhododendron Trail. Spent 6 hours on the trail [you can do it in 4 hours], used Rhododendron and AT trails, past Thomas Knob shelter and took AT Spur to the top - make sure you locate the second geodetic marker at the top as there are two - met many people along the way, visited with the wild ponies, took Wilburn Ridge [blue blaze] on the way back ... some steep places but a great view from the top. After our trek had a great barbecue sandwich... everything tastes good after 9 miles and 1500' of elevation gain. This is a great day trip for anyone who can drive up to 4 hours each way. Highly recommend hiking this area to the densely wooded top of Mt. Rogers [note the exposed areas along the way offer fantastic views].

Pine trees and ponies aplenty -- and it smelled like Christmas! I am anxious to go back to see the rhododendrons in bloom.

Beautiful hike. We were here in March, so missed all of the amazing blooms, but got to see lots of wild ponies - kids were super excited to see them.

Beautiful trail! Camped the night before. Only downside was at there was a 15+ person group camping near us that was loud until 11pm.

Super awesome well maintained trail. Lots of rocks so be prepared for some trekking but over all an easy trail that the family can do with older kids. Lots of wild ponies and AMAZING views.

We love this trail! It is very rocky in sections and can be a challenge, but we always enjoy it.

This trail combines beauty with difficulty. What more could you ask for. I have hiked this a couple of times, didn't make it all the way the first 2 times. but the third time was a charm and because it was a nice peaceful hike I keep going back.

Awesome hike/run. Wild Wild horses...

It was a fairly simple trail. No view. But it is the tallest mountain in Virginia. About as close to being in Colorado as you'll get in Virginia.

Rocky.

I completed the Mount Rogers Trail starting at Rd. 603 (Laurel Valley Rd.) and went to the top. It was 6.5 miles to the top. This was a fairly easy gradual ascent. The trail was clearly marked with blue blazes except for 2 miles of white blazes where the trail became part of the Appalachian Trail. This was a very shaded walk that got kind of rocky after 2.5 miles in. There were plenty of signs pointing the way to other side trails. Within a mile from the top there were great views of mountains and valleys. There are no panoramic views from the top but it was gorgeous. There were plenty of fresh berries at the junction that leaves the AT to go to the peak. The AT peeled out into a meadow at 2 points on this hike so on the way back I came out of the woods following blue blazes and was able to go back into the woods and back onto the AT for a nice variation on the way back that had even more scenic views into North Carolina. I did create 2 tracks, one up and one down.

Absolutely beautiful! The trail is fairly easy if you do any basic level of hiking. The trail is very clearly marked and there is tons of shade and even water during the summer (I'm from CA, so the shade was AMAZING). Our (out of shape) American Bulldog/Mastiff did this with us, and boy was he hurting at the end. Bring lots of water, and shoes with great grip, since the little streams do go over the rocks on the trail sometimes. There are also lots of loose rocks towards the top.

Great trail, walked from Massey gap to Mt. Rogers & back.
Best scenery in Virginia.
Trails marked clearly. Big difference form 30 years ago, just maps and compass then.

I rode a wild pony.

My favorite spot on the East Coast. There is a pretty good elevation gain from Rt 603 at the trail head to the Summit. Bring plenty of water for this 7 mile climb. There are extraordinary views all along the way but the balds near the summit are the best. Great places to camp all around the Thomas Knob shelter and a nice spring there too. If camping it is wise to slip off of the balds down into the woods. You'll find good sites with fire rings and shelter from the wind.