Mount Rogers Spur

Mount Rogers Spur is a 10 mile out and back trail located near Whitetop, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible from March until October.

This was a very nice hike. We reached the trailhead from the massey gap parking lot, taking the Rhododendron Gap trail to the Appalachian Trail. Took about 4 miles to reach the Mount Rogers Spur Trail, and every mile was totally worth it. The hike started out with wild ponies, how can you beat that. The hike was very rocky but full of scenery and views all around you. We are attempting to hike all of the highest peaks in every state, and this is by far the most fun and most scenic hike we have done yet, having completed all of the states in the southeast thus far. The Mount Rogers spur trail alone was a very easy short hike to the summit, hiking through some very thick wooded areas that is very beautiful. Our only negative would have to be that there was no sign at the top stating the peak and its elevation. Luckily their was a piece of cardboard with the info out it laying on a rock that someone made. HA.

I enjoy this area a lot. I recently hiked this area in February and I'll let you know it was exactly what the warning signs say, the weather can change drastically quickly. If you go to this area in winter or early spring please prepare for that. We actually saw some hikers heading up late in the afternoon with not a lot of protection or gear. We warned them of how cold it will get and when the sun goes down it will be a tot a lly different scene. We hope they heeded our earning and got back down to Massie gap before sun down.

Great workout

Friendly Feral Ponies! Need I say more? I didn't think so....

This is an awesome hike to the highest point in VA. Don't let the fact that this trail itself is 0.5 mi. fool you. The nearest access points are Grayson Highlands, Grindstone, and Elk Garden. They are each over 4 miles away from this trail's start point. But nevertheless, this is an awesome hike, with ponies, views, trail shelters, and many hikers you will likely meet along the way. Come in from Grayson Highlands to experience the best views. At the summit there are... no views. Just the satisfaction of being at VA's highest point, I guess. I found a big group of hikers up there when I reached it last August. This mountain was part of my 20-mile day hike from Grayson Highlands to Scales and Whitetop.

We actually started in Damascus Virginia hiking to Mt. Rogers via the AT. It was a very strenous hike with amazing views. The day we climbed Mt. Rogers visibility was down to 20 yards so we struggled finding the shelter which became crowded by the end of the night. Woke up the next day to sunshine and wild ponies roaming the bald. After B-fast we climbed to the summit and then back to the road where we had our first hitch-hiking experience to get back to Damascus and our Car.