McAfee Knob Appalachian Trail

McAfee Knob Appalachian Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salem, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Base elevation is the elevation given at the parking area, 2,000'. The peak at McAfee Knob is 3,171'.

It was a good hike and as I'm not a "beginner" I definitely am not "advanced" either and this trail offered a good workout that keeps your heart beating! It starts off just plain evil but calms down very quick (thankfully) and after the fire road crosses the trail becomes a slow and steady incline up to the top! Went through a muddy spot which sucked but I'm sure it's not like that all year long! The views are amazing, as well as watching the clouds roll over the mountain! The giant rocks are so beautiful and the birds and wildlife I seen were so pretty! Gets pretty chilly up too so make sure you have proper clothes!

great trail. knob was awesome to stand out on.

it's a nice Trail or you can do the fire road up to the last mile so it's perfect for all ages

As a recent transplant to the area from Florida, this hike was very difficult for me. A reconstructed ankle and bad knees didn't help. However, this was the most incredible hike I've ever done with the best payoff with the views! It took us 3 hrs to get up to the top with a lot of stopping to take in the beauty, look at the deer, check out the AT shelters, and gasp for air because for a Florida girl- this thing is high up! Made it down via fire road in a little over 2 hrs. We got a late start, so we were only able to spend about 15 minutes at the top, and still had to finish the last mile in the dark. I think it was possibly perfect though because we didn't have a single person up there with us! I will be doing this hike again!

I've gone on many hikes in my life and this one is my favorite! That and Old Rag.

This trail was great! We took the fire road up and back and it was a pretty leisurely hike. The incline can get tough here and there but overall it wasn't very difficult. The last mile to the top is definitely the most challenging but again it has more to do with incline and elevation gain than actual terrain. The view at the knob was absolutely breathtaking and worth the work to get to the top. Lots of photo opportunities. There was a mild amount of people but we had the trail to ourselves a lot of the time, only passing people here and there. Everyone was very friendly and more than willing to help with photo ops. Our 15 week old puppy handled the trail perfectly, so if she can do it so can you!

So glad I did this one again -- this time, in low traffic and on taking the AT up and back. We had solitude at the Knob for almost 40 minutes. Very different from my first time. My dog loved it, but got a little overheated in this unusual warm spell. Take lots of water!

Beautiful view at the Knob

First hike I have done in years. Definitely physical, but do-able for any level of hiker. A must for anyone in the area. Beautiful views!!

Great hike. #1 favorite trail. A good 4 hour hike including valley gazing. Great for anyone at any skill level.

Great hike! Beautiful view!

Made it up from the parking lot in two hours or so. I began at daybreak and was able to make it to the cliffs before the clouds dissipated from the valleys and it was so beautiful. One of my favorites so far!