McAfee Knob Appalachian Trail

McAfee Knob Appalachian Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salem, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Base elevation is the elevation given at the parking area, 2,000'. The peak at McAfee Knob is 3,171'.

I've gone on many hikes in my life and this one is my favorite! That and Old Rag.

This trail was great! We took the fire road up and back and it was a pretty leisurely hike. The incline can get tough here and there but overall it wasn't very difficult. The last mile to the top is definitely the most challenging but again it has more to do with incline and elevation gain than actual terrain. The view at the knob was absolutely breathtaking and worth the work to get to the top. Lots of photo opportunities. There was a mild amount of people but we had the trail to ourselves a lot of the time, only passing people here and there. Everyone was very friendly and more than willing to help with photo ops. Our 15 week old puppy handled the trail perfectly, so if she can do it so can you!

So glad I did this one again -- this time, in low traffic and on taking the AT up and back. We had solitude at the Knob for almost 40 minutes. Very different from my first time. My dog loved it, but got a little overheated in this unusual warm spell. Take lots of water!

Beautiful view at the Knob

First hike I have done in years. Definitely physical, but do-able for any level of hiker. A must for anyone in the area. Beautiful views!!

Great hike. #1 favorite trail. A good 4 hour hike including valley gazing. Great for anyone at any skill level.

Great hike! Beautiful view!

Made it up from the parking lot in two hours or so. I began at daybreak and was able to make it to the cliffs before the clouds dissipated from the valleys and it was so beautiful. One of my favorites so far!

best of the best! so much time up here it has a special place in my life.

Best hike that I have been on by far, Recommended starting earlier in the day. The hike gets pretty busy compared to some that I've been on. I will eventually go back to do this same hike!

The boys first hike! They loved every second of it. Mind over matter was the quote of the day!

Started the trail at dark to catch the sunrise at the knob. It was demanding, especially once we started racing the sun. The view is more than worth the climb. We watched the sunrise with one other group and had some peaceful time to ourselves once they departed. The climb down quickly became more crowded, but everyone on the trail was friendly. Overall, the trail was well marked and it was a wonderful day trip.

Hiked this a few years ago with some friends. Wasn't too difficult - we used the hard trail up. The view was breathtaking. Worth every step. We watched the sun set from the point.
On our way down one guy decided to take a "shortcut". We all know how that goes. Took us an hour and a half to find the trail again, and we found it with the last remnants of twilight. Trekked the road back to the car in pitch black for over another hour. Couldn't see our hands two inches from our faces.
I loved it all so much. Some friends are visiting from Mississippi this weekend, and they've never climbed mountains, so I'm taking them here.

Fantastic views.

THE HARDEST TRAIL IVE DONE PERIOD.... But the best payoff!! No negative remarks on this one. Great hike all together

Breathtaking view of God's created beauty! The final 1.3 mile hike to the top is the most demanding. Even though the trail is more crowded than what we like--easily encountered 100-150 students throughout the day (some very polite and some not) -we would recommend it!!
**Suggestion - try to get to the trail head early because, by 9 am Saturday, the parking lot was full and spots along side the road were being taken up quickly.