Mathews Arm Overall Run Trail

Mathews Arm Overall Run Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rileyville, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Two waterfalls, strenuous decent and accent, swimming hole The trails in the Mathews Arm - Overall Run area are, for the most part, horse/foot trails that were farm roads in pre-Park days. The circuit goes past two waterfalls which are spectacular after heavy rain, or when frozen in the winter. This hike will give you a good workout. You descend a long way down into the valley, and then, of course, back up again. At times the trail is "in" Overal Run, and leads to a great swimming hole near the bottom.

the scenery was awesome.

Last two weeks lots of rain makes this trail a challenging, I started this trail from US340.
Rain stopped just few minutes ago to start my day therefore very wet and slippery, I did very big circle around 11 miles touched 4 different trails and cross the flood water 8 times and sometimes that's the hart part to cross the streams without wet.
Falls is looks beautiful and amazing view from Overall Run trail. weddelwood and Beecher ridge trails or just exercise. Only I saw people on Overall Run trails. This one is hard because of weather and length.

I am a new hiker, so the uphill was hard on me but the waterfall was very pretty. It was worth the outing.

Nice hike about six miles roundtrip if you take Appalachian to Tuscarora. Easy going down tough coming back with my six year old.

I thought this trail was difficult because of the rocks everywhere, it was very difficult to not trip. It made the hike take extra long because of having to be so cautious the entire way. It was very nicely marked and doing it in the fall it was pretty. We forgot about daylight savings, so we were out there in the dark hiking. We didn't see any bears, but we did see some bald eagles fly over us. There was also so much bear poop on the trail, which was interesting. I don't think it was any more strenuous than other trails, it was really all the roots, rocks, and slippery leaves that made it difficult.

Nice trail, but it was our first day out, so we only made it to the top of the falls which is about 2.5 miles down. From the top you couldn't see much of the falls through the trees, but I'm sure it is beautiful if you could make it to the bottom of the falls. As others mentioned it is strenuous to go to the bottom, so if you only want to get to the top of the falls it is not much to see. I'm giving the hike to to the top a two star only.

Nice trail for a day trip. Difficult for beginners

Very strenuous as mentioned but awesome trail.

Look out for bears.

Completed this trail on the last leg of a road trip to Tennessee. On a Tuesday morning the Mathews Arm campground and surrounding trails were all but empty. My friend and I took the Overall Run trail out to Big Falls (awesome views from the overlook). Spotted some turkey vultures who flew in close to check us out and see if we were food. On the way back to camp we were on Tuscacrora but a bear and cub lumbered across the trail not more than 10-15 yards in front of us. We quickly doubled back and took Mathews Arm to the top of the campground.

Even with the imminent threat of nature consuming us, a great morning hike with spectacular views. Total trek time: about 3 hours.