Little Stony Man Loop

Little Stony Man Loop is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Syria, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Park in the Little Stony Man parking area located at mile 39.1.

Beautiful moderate/easy trail. Took my 10 and 13 year old and we really enjoyed it. We ended up taking Passamaquoddy to Furnace Spring Horse Trail to Stoney Horse Man Trail, back through Lil Stoney Man trail and saw two peeks. The First one we saw was Little Stoney Man Summit, which was breathtaking. Took us two hours and we were hesitant but plenty to enjoy, Ravens were talking to us throughout the walk, and being real silly . We came back through the Stoney Man summit which was beautiful too.

Fun hike with beautiful scenery, especially as the trees begin to change! For those who have yet to visit this part of the Shenandoah, be prepared to spend $20 per vehicle to enter the park (the views are worth every penny).

Beautiful views!

short but fun hike. fantastic views

While this hike started out great, we somehow lost the trail somewhere around the Skylands resort. I don't think it was our fault, though because we got to a junction that wasn't clearly marked. however, we did find our way to the stoneyman summit which was very cool. all in all a very nice hike...pretty rocky. poles came in handy. Go early if you hike on a weekend. Parking is limited.

My kids (7 and 9) had no issues with this hike, and overall we had a great time. If you only have time for 1 of the Stony Man hikes, however (and don't feel like doing the loop to get both), I would say the trail up to Stony Man itself (from Skyland) makes for a much better hike overall. The "Little Stony Man" trail up from the parking area on Skyline Drive offers a view of the "Stony Man", but that's not much to look at, and the view from on TOP of Stony Man is much better. Still, this was a fun hike, good exercise, and the kids enjoyed it.

Great hike if your time is short and you want to catch a great view. Just did the Little Stony Man to the top and back.

Amazing views at the top. Some of the best views. Not very challenging as far as cardio goes but a great hike.

We took a slightly different route and it ended up being a little shorter. Stony man had incredible views as did little stony man. The kids did this hike no problem. Check out my full write up that includes directions and other things to look out for.

This was our first hike during our visit to Shenandoah - definitely a nice way to kick-off the trip. The trail is well maintained and, for the most part, easy to follow. Most of the hike offered a scenic lookout over the valley, which was pretty cool. It got rocky at parts, but nothing not to be expected. Wear hiking boots and bring water. A few parts with a gentle ascent, but nothing too intense. Will most likely do again!

Wonderful hike with plenty of nice overlooks. Fairly easy, someone out of shape may have some slight issues getting to the summit but should be fine. Good hike to do in a short amount of time, I always do the full loop. There are a few crossing trails so be mindful which direction you choose.

Very nice hike. The trail was extremely crowded though - I guess that's what I get for going Columbus Day weekend. Oops! I just opted for the quick out and back hike up to the summit. The views were beautiful. I had a nice, clear day. The trail is pretty rocky - so sturdy shoes are recommended. Happy hiking!

This was our first family home and it was awesome. We brought lunch and ate it on the rocks. The kids (5 & 3) did well!

Awesome hike, did the big loop ended up around 5.7miles from little stoney man around to stoney man over look past Skyland resort.