Little Schloss Trail

DIFFICULTY 3 reviews

Little Schloss Trail is a 1.9 mile out and back trail located near Woodstock, VA. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

geocaching

Nice steady incline, over a thousand foot elevation gain in two miles, up Little Sluice Mountain. Spur trail off of Little Sluice Mountain trail not blazed and no marker present, so take unmarked trail on left at about 2 mile mark to reach summit. Short, but somewhat technical scramble up rocks to get up on top of "Little Schloss". The rocks are the attraction; actual peak is covered in trees, so going past rock outcrops is pointless. Great view of Big Schloss, to the west, and main valley of the Shenandoah and Edinburg to the east. I took my dog, and thinking he could not make it up the boulders and scree, I tied him to tree at bottom. After whining when I got out of site he pulled his collar off and was on top in seconds. I was very impressed as I don't think that most dogs would either attempt or be able to do this. Map at trail head does not show spur trail and is not very accurate, so best to have a map or app if doing it for the first time.

Have hiked Big Schloss in Fall, Spring and Summer. Great trail starting from the Wolf Gap camp ground on the ridge between Virginia and West Virginia. Fantastic, panoramic views both during the hike and also from the stunning rocks at the top. Very unique. Takes us usually 3 hours round trip - including time to sit and enjoy the view at the top.

Great hike. We did the complete High Road-Little Schloss-Big Schloss circuit. First 1.5 miles up is STRAIGHT up (no switchbacks) and tough. Great reward at the top. Great camping sites and lots of water.