Lewis Spring Falls Trail

Lewis Spring Falls Trail is a 2.9 mile loop trail located near Stanley, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Park at milepost 51.2 in the Big Meadows area. Look for the amphitheater where below, you will find a trail post for Lewis Spring Falls.

We hiked the short route down the fire road. Eh. Kids were disappointed in the view but they've had some big experiences so this just didn't rank high. We did see some deer close up on our way out and a hiker before us had just seen a bear.

We've been going to Shenandoah for years and have done Dark Hollows and White Oak Canyon. Lewis Falls was a fantastic trail and the round trip back to Big Meadows via the AT was very quiet and peaceful.

Very steep hike down and back up, and a lot of the trail is very rocky. The falls were beautiful but would have missed the best view if a hiker hadn't warned us that the little trail to the observation area wasn't marked but was just to the left after you seemed to reach the end. From there, you go down some slippery rocks (thank god there was a handrail) to the observation area for the full view of the falls, which was gorgeous, quiet and secluded. One tip to make it easier: we started the trail from the fire road to the south of Big Meadows (we parked at Big Meadows and walked) and cut off some of the trail, making it about 2 miles out and back. Still very steep but slightly shorter.

Meh, I've had better... Long and steep hike for a mediocre fall..

love love LOVE this trail. it was my first trail I ever hiked, aside from ruck marches In the army.... my dog loved it! I've done this trail maybe 8 times and every time was different, from bears to deer to fog to completely sunny. I'd recommend it to anyone, it gets a little tough at times but isn't too bad. even with injured hips and back, the view is worth it and absolutely breathtaking!

This trail was not heavily traffiked the day we went. Very intimidating cliffs from the top of the falls, truly a sight to see!

We did this hike on a gloomy, rainy morning. This scenery was pretty with the fog moving in and out. When we got the to top of the falls we were a little underwhelmed. No views due to the fog and not much of a waterfall either. It had me wondering if we were in the right spot or not. Ended up hiking out the same way we went in, not noticing it was a loop if we'd taken the AT out. Hiking out was exhausting !! Didn't read a map until we finished the hike, needless to say it was a 1,200 incline.

Great short Hike, the viewing spot for the falls isn't great. However, if you're able to then climb down two one of two rock ledges past the stone viewing area you get great views of the whole waterfall.

Loved this hike and the bit along the Appalachian trail on the way back!

There are much better views and waterfalls in Shenandoah. I took the route from Skyline Drive. it's a short but steep descent through the woods with an occasional view of the valley. The top of the falls is unimpressive though there is a short spur for better view but even that is lackluster. I'd spend my time elsewhere unless I'd already seen everything else the park has to offer.

Hike down was easy-hike out was fairly strenuous for us (from the flat plains). It was a good thing that this hike is roughly a 2 mile round trip. The waterfall was pretty but inaccessible

Did the shorter, 2 mile, out & back from Skyline Drive as we were pressed for time. Quite a bit of foliage obstructing the view (which is from a platformed observation deck). Enjoyable. Worth the quick trip.

I loved this trail. Lots to see. I really like the falls.

Although the falls are not big, I thought it was impressive. The loop offered beautiful scenery and a lot of wildlife. It was our third hike down to a waterfall yesterday and coming back up was almost too much. It wa steep and rocky.

Nice loops trail that leaves from an easy access point at Big Meadows Lodge. The trail down to the Falls observation point is a pretty challenging hike both in its steepness in places and rocky terrain in others. We hiked it with some snow and ice on the ground still which made it even more precarious. Would suggest hiking poles in those conditions. Once you leave the falls observation point and head back up towards the AT, that gives you a much more even return trip though and highlighted by a great overlook right before getting back to the parking lot.

Nice trail. Some parts are pretty rugged and rocky. The falls were not spectacular when we went. There are great views off the mountain. Hiking back up the trail is a nice workout and not for the faint of heart.

There is a small trail that is not marked that goes down closer to the falls. You can get better views of the falls down that path.