Joseph Bryan Park Trails

Joseph Bryan Park Trails is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Richmond, VA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a suburban park with the expected soccer fields and barbecues, but portions of the park have been allowed to run wild. Overall, it's a surprisingly good introduction to tidewater forest ecology in the middle of urban Richmond. The front entrance, off of Hermitage Road leads to the soccer fields and barbecue pits. The best approach is from the back entrance, off of Bryan Park Road. There is limited parking available on suburban streets. Take the road (closed to auto traffic) along the pond to a walking path that leads up the hill into the woods. In the last few years, the park authority along with Friends of Bryan Park and Virginia Master Naturalists have engaged in an intensive program of cleaning up trash, putting in trails, clearing out alien invasive flora, planting natives. There is the beginning of a guided nature walk. We saw a pair of pileated woodpeckers, there is a lot of butterfly attracting planting, and an old CCC building up the trail that is being converted to a Nature Center. There is good access to a small creek, the Jordan Branch.

It's pretty, never overcrowded and has a great little rock area with low flowing water just off one of the bridges that is easy and fun to climb/step across. The downsides are there aren't any maps or signs that give you a clue where you're going so youre probably going to have to backtrack. Easy peasy though!

The park is very beautiful, but I did not particularly enjoy the trail, as it was not well marked and the areas deep in the woods were covered in down trees. Perhaps the trees were the result of a recent storm so I'll be going back to experience it again. There are great gems to discover if you like to secluded areas by the water to have a picnic and read a good book.

It's a beautiful park with pleasant trails but there's very little marking on the trail to let you know where you're going. I couldn't find any route information in terms of trail markings directing you onward.

Beautiful park with a lot going on (soccer, marathons, frisbee golf, etc). Plenty of different trails to take from paved to dirt paths in the woods. Gets very busy and parking can be limited. I go early morning and it's a great nature walk with my dog.

It has been a year and a half but I still remember this nice little park. It is well used at the front but the back trails into the woods were almost untouched.

Decent variety of elevation and multiple interconnecting loops. Packed and dirt trails available.

Any hike is better than none, so I must say that I loved my hike here. There were beautiful flowers in the developed parts but the back country was a little plain. Maybe I am a trail snob after just doing a week in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I just moved to the area . I love parks and trails.. I am somewhat of a writer( creative, spiritual, and non-fictional) not a big author just personal writing that I share from time to time... any ways

I just visited the park today 1-20 I'm doing homework while watching my children and nephew play .. as far as I see, this park is nice for those of us who like to bathe in the SUN and activate the mind...

excited about checking out other parks but I'm just excited about finding this park in a city...

I can't properly rate because I have only seen a small portion of the park.. but so far I guess a 3 1/2

I agree that this park is just not as exciting as many others. I think for bike riding if you want a more flat surface, then this park is excellent. Otherwise, it does not really have much to offer for walking, hiking, or biking. I haven't been to the park in a few years, but last time I went, if I can recall, there weren't too many people there so that's a plus for me.

This is an old suburban park, and large parts have been allowed to go back to nature. It is great for nature and bird watching, despite some litter. The ponds are full of an escaped alien snail, Bellamya japonica.