Jones Run Falls Trail

Jones Run Falls Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crozet, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible from March until November.

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Just beyond milepost 84 is a small parking area with the trailhead.

Because of the length, I would not call this easy. It was a moderately strenuous hike down to a 42' waterfall. The trail was steep in a few places, but mostly a gradual decent to the falls. Not too much water was flowing, but still a nice hike. The Jones Run Falls Trailhead is at MP 84.1 in the Skyline Drive. The nearest restroom is at the Dundo Picnic Grounds, MP 83.7.

Beautiful hike. Would definitely recommend

Just the in and out trail is a nice, easy hike. There are a few rocky areas that might make it more difficult and the hike out is a pretty steady uphill. We went early in the morning in July and it was nice and quiet — only one other car in the parking lot, and we saw few other people. Unfortunately there hadn't been a lot of rain, so the waterfall was smaller, but still pretty and worth the walk.

This is a great hike! It is easier down, but there are some interesting switch backs and some rocky areas that I think makes this a more moderate trail. The way back up is of course a bit more challenging but unlike other hikes it has some flat recovery places. To go all the way down my tacker said it was more like 2.5 each way, so its 5 total not really 4.6. Parking lot at the trail head is small, we grabbed the last spot around lunch time.

Fantastic hike with my dog on one of the only sunny days in May! I did just the out and back. Plenty of parking when I arrived at 10:30am, but the lot was full when I left at 2:30. Nice downhill hike to the falls, with several scenic stopping points. The uphill hike out wasn't too bad at all.

It was amazing walking down the trail; even seen a cub on the way down, however the trail was rated "easy" the walk DOWN is easy the walk back out it rather challenging.

We did the 3.4 mile out and back Jones Run Falk trail. We had 4 adults, a baby, and a 3 1/2 yr old. Beautiful scenery and the falls were gorgeous! 3 1/2 year old hiked all the way to the falls and part of they way back. Turned out to be slightly too much uphill on the way back for him and he rode on someone's shoulders on the way back. But that should tell you that the rest of us had no problem hiking it! Well marked trail, lots of people, fairly easy. Great for families.

Beware BEARS!

We did the Jones Run/Doyles River combo. We loved it! Beautiful scenery and a great combination of a relaxing hike and a challenging work out. We took our two dogs, and they loved it, too. We even saw a little black bear, which made the day even more special. Definitely one of our favorites!

Did the Browns gap loop incorporating Jones Run and Doyle's Falls - finishing up on AT for a little over a mile. In total I measured it at 6.85 miles. Pretty big elevation change and the climb back up was strenuous - but nice views of 3 waterfalls.

This was my first hike ever in SNP. Did it as part of the Doyles River/Jones Run Loop. Waterfalls galore! Started later in the afternoon and only saw a handful of people out on the trail (and it was a holiday weekend!). Quite an uphill climb on the return, but worth it.

Why would anyone visit Dark Hollow Falls when they can see THIS??
My favorite hike in Shenandoah! 3 Waterfalls! Rocks to jump/climb over! Shady, magical.
From the Brown's Gap parking area (mp83) we crossed skyline drive and hopped on the fire road. From there a right on Doyle's River Trail, connect up with Jones Run and then hop on the AT to return to parking.

This is a hike you will especially LOVE after a rain has come thru, the water levels are higher and the waterfalls are that much more magnificent. Also, when the water is higher you get to do a semi challenging river crossing...I used some slippery rocks, a downed tree and a little luck.

This trail is something to be savored. We took our time, enjoyed the waterfalls immensely and found it very relaxing.

The fire road is VERY gradual downhill, grassy and very easy. Then the actual trail is a bit steeper, not much and really rocky. Just when you think you are at the bottom, you go down some more. After you get to the third waterfall you begin to ascend.
It's a tough one. It is totally doable, lots of spots to rest and sip water. Take your time, and you will be at the Appalachian trail before you know it. Once you hit the AT it is smooooth sailing. A really good cool down period just over a mile before you get back to the car.

My GPS said we walked 8+miles so I'm a little confused about the mileage, but either way it was wonderful!

I did this trail with my dogs and it was a great hike. I loved the waterfalls and you can some great pictures. When we went, it was not crowded at all - passed a few people, but alone most of the time. It was a bit steep going back up. We also saw a bear as we were walking back.

This is located in Shenandoah National Park off of sky line drive. We did this as part of the Doyles River/Jones Run loop which was a total of 7 miles. We saw some beautiful waterfalls. The trail wasn't too crowded. This is a very scenic hike with some up hill climbs over a lot of rocks. On wet days it can be quite slippery. Watch out of ticks. I came back with one and my husband came back with 3.