Jeremy's Run Trail

Jeremy's Run Trail is a 11.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sperryville, VA that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail is also accessible from Rileyville, VA. The hike from the bottom provides swimming holes and a small waterfall in the first 2 miles.

Hiked this route with my girlfriend and 6 month lab puppy. We followed the route as marked on this map and it was over 14 miles.
Yes - there are some nice streams but otherwise the views are very unsatisfying compared with other options in the area. Additionally, the bugs were very bad and the Ticks were relentless. I picked off probably 20 from myself and the dog collected no less than 20 as well. It was a very tiring day that luckily wasn't too hot as there is a lot of cover from the sun. Still, over 7 hours of hiking with no real reward in the way of a view and awful bugs made this a hike we won't return to.

Great Trail! We started at the bottom in Rileysville. To get there take Vaughn's Summit Road from the 340 (we started in the direction of Luray). It winds a bit but when you see the little bridge that crosses over the stream that is where the hike starts. It's not obvious from the road. No obvious parking. No trailhead marker. However there is a bit of yellow paint on the tree at the very beginning of the trail that my fiancé spotted. It was a really fun trail. It was in the 40-50's yesterday so crossing the river (which the trail requires frequently) was especially challenging since we didn't want to go in the drink. LOL! Took some hilarious videos. :-) :-) :-) And the water was high from recent rain. The leaves were just past their peak but for a California girl, it is absolutely stunning this weekend. Very quiet trail. We loved that. We passed a total of 10 hikers all day. 4 were backpacking. 2 were fishing and 4 looked like they were out for just the first mile or so of the trail. Enjoy!!

Hiked this trail Feb 1 2014 after a snow and it was gorgeous. Just a few areas theat were steep so the snow made it difficult, but all in all a pretty easy trail with lots of water views and climbing opportunities.

Jeremy's Run
Length: 10.0 miles, moderate difficulty Elevation change: 2222 feet PATC Map: 9
Jeremy's Run is one of the most scenic streams in the northern section of the Shenandoah National Park. The trail is beautifully forested and the run itself is a continual series of cascades and pools that provide numerous opportunities for a swim. The hike up to the top of Neighbor Mountain paid the toll for the easy drop down to Jeremy's Run. We had multiple stream crossings, and were able to stay dry, but believe at some times of year you will have to wade to cross. The valley abounds with wildlife and bears. We saw bears on the drive in, but not on the trail. We hiked this for the 2013 NCAC Hikeoree.
Start at the small parking area on the Skyline Drive at milepost 26.8. From the small parking area, follow the sign to Neighbor Mountain Trail. Follow Neighbor Mountain Trail to Jeremy's Run Trail to the Appalachian Trail. Follow the AT to Elkwallow Wayside.

This was a really great early August hike. The trail runs along the stream, with over a dozen crossings. The trail head is near the Elkwallow picnic area, not the wayside. The trail drops down early, but is a slow easy descent after that. It is heavily wooded, and popular with trail runners and day hikers.

I intended to camp, and there are lots of backcountry camping spots. I hiked the loop (Jeremy's Run-Knob Mountain) clockwise, and reached the campsite at the south end after only a couple hours. Still, this is the spot to camp, right next to the waterfalls. But, with an early start, the loop is easily a one day hike.

I camped the night at the campsite, and got up early to take on the ridge. The climb was early in the hike, and a series of switchbacks. Probably close to a 1200-1400 ft rise. The majority of the rest is easier stuff along the ridge, which has some good views, although they might be better in the spring or fall. The trail is well maintained, rocky in parts, and beautiful.

I saw one bear, although I saw a lot of tracks and turned over stones, as well as dug up areas under tree stumps. So far, the bears seem to be active higher on the ridge in the early morning (I'm no expert, but this is when I have seen and heard them). I kept hearing it moving above me on the hill during the climbing section, but when I reached the ridge, he was heading down the side below me. I wore a bear bell on my pack, which detracts from the natural experience, but I am sure we both appreciated knowing I was coming.

The last bit is a climb, back on part of the trail where you began.

With some water and an early start, this is a five-seven hour round trip. Maybe up to 9 if you stop a lot.

It is a long, secluded hike (at least it was for me, saw not one person!). Difficult for its length, my gps said 15 miles at conclusion for the loop. Better to do Knob to Jeremy's. if you do the reverse loop, wow... Much harder!! I enjoyed the long and peaceful, yet endurance challenging hike. True, summer lacks any views or any truly amazing scenic points, but it is so nice out there deep in wilderness. Enjoy it for what it is! Jeremy's crosses many times/ 15?!! I lost count! Have good boots and poles, no problem, otherwise you will have wet feet!!

Excellent trail. Allot of water crossings. I also recommend back country camping on the southern end of the trail just to the SW of the waterfall.

Hiking Jeremy's Run from the bottom in Rileyville is a nice experience. The trail starts moderate but after a mile becomes steady. One mile in there is a nice series of swimming holes. After crossing the creek three times and about another mile in there is a small waterfall. It is a nice relaxing day hike for the kids.

With about 14 stream crossings, there's a good chance you'll get your feet wet.

I started at the Elk Hollow picnic area [around mile 24 of Skyline] 8:30AM and followed the trail down towards Jeremy's Run. I was dressed in layers and coat for a typical mid November day. Two hours into the hike, I was down to a tank and tshirt. Day turned out to be in upper 50s/low 60s. Even though it hadn't rained for a week or two, the streams weren't that low and the rocks slippery. [I assume Spring is even more of a challenge.] The climb from Jeremy's up wasn't too difficult but there was a good steep incline with switchbacks for a few miles.

All around, a good day hike, especially on a beautiful day. You'll work up an appetite.