Indian River Park Trail

Indian River Park Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Chesapeake, VA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Indian River Park is a good park to visit if you are looking for something a little more challenging than the average city owned trail. The park is split into two by a ditch/field, but both parts are accessible by passing through the field area. The more transverse side of the park is the side by Paramount Avenue and I would suggest you start there and just start exploring. All of the trails are made of compacted dirt and makes travel across them very easy going. Casual bikers and BMX bikers also use the park, and you will notice some rather large ramps built throughout sections of the park. **I would advise taking these ramps only if you are comfortable, some are about 8' tall** All of the trails loop into one another so as long as you keep walking you will eventually see something that you recognize. There are also trail markers painted on trees along the park that are easily seen. After a heavy rain the trail will be rather muddy so just be cautious about when you go.

We had fun here! As was said in another review, it really felt like you were out in the woods and not in the city! We took a long route 2.77 miles, a little hard to navigate but a fun adventure.

Nice trails

Literally just went. Felt like we were in the middle of nowhere but still in the city! Lots of rugged paths and mud, some of which was a bit like quicksand. Probably want to wear shoes you are okay with messing up. One of the people that came with me saw a spider the size of a small mouse; tons of spider webs in some parts, just grab a stick and wave it in front of you. I love adventures and off course things, so I would love to come back. Pretty easy to get lost, though.

This trail has a locals vibe and is geared toward BMX and mountain bikers. There were a few areas that were only for bikers so if you're walking through you need to stay out of the way. No payoff views but a solid loop for a palate cleanser.

This a fantastic trail. There are a ton of routes to choose from. Spread out through the trails are technical obstacles as well that can be bypassed or conquered, which allows for growth for those new to MTB. This will be a good to spot from now on!

Great trail! Had it all to myself on a Saturday afternoon. I think it's great for beginner mountain/trail bikers with some challenging parts here and there. Plenty of routes to go around a challenging part if you're not ready for it. This trail will help you get up to the next level experience.

Pretty trail, but kind of short. We walked in a few circles but after 30-45 minutes we made our way out and figured that was about it.

I just used my 50cc leaf blower to clear off the outer loop for mountain biking. The trail is marked by blue spray paint arrows if you take it counter clockwise. Now is the time to hit it if you don't want to get lost.

This trail is 2.5miles and is the longest hiking trail in Northwest River Park. It's a free entrance. The trail signs are adequate enough. There's a lot of spider webs as you walk thru the trail. We only saw three people hiking the trail. We did not get lost so maybe it isn't so bad for my first time.

Nice trail. Only reason I didn't get lost was because of the spider webs. Lol

Best local spot to run RC trail rigs and Crawlers. Just stay off the jumps and ramps out of respect fot the hard work the BMX guys have put into them. I tried to build a RC only course out there to help with that but someone didn't like the idea and destroyed my work. All good.

The trail itself was pretty well maintained except a few pretty deep mud holes along the trail. Not very clearly marked? And TONS of spiderwebs across the trail. I don't mind them I found it a minor annoyance but someone who hates spiders probably shouldn't go on this trail.

Hiked it today with my husband. It's a good walk, not too difficult and interesting enough to hold your attention - really enjoyed seeing all the bike jumps and improvements the BMXers have made. Fun to watch them ride. The trails criss-cross all over the place and aren't always marked, so we just picked directions at random - I recommend this method if you've got time, it was a lot of fun.

Plenty of different tracks to run in the closed area of roughly 3 miles. Some more challenging than others. Some technical also. Kept up by locals especially on the bmx portion which is mainly on the southern side of the park. If you're short on time to get a run in this place will suit you. It's my go to spot.

Very fun park for a novice to biking. I got lost and had a blast. Great place to get comfortable on a bike and once you get past the entrance area it really opens up into some beautiful trails (and backyards!)

This was a great place for my puppy to run around and burn off some of that energy.

This is a nice little park of trails. They are indeed mainly for more bmx style riding, and there are a lot of obstacles to be had, however, there are quite a bit of single track sections which I can decently classify as beginner to intermediate. If you have no sense of direction, whatsoever, you will most likely get lost in this little park. Today, I simply went trail running here as my bike is in the shop, but I'm excited to come here to play with my bike. This place is all right but is in incredible disrepair!!!! Sections of the trails are ridden with trash and obstacles that are so decrepit that they seem like more of a hazard than a challenge. If I were part of some sort of mountain bike community I would definitely reach out to this little park to help it reach it's full potential.