House Mountain Trail

House Mountain Trail is a 9.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lexington, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September.

House Mountain actually has two trails that fort at the "Saddle" area,

This is my first hike since moving to Virginia and the Rockbridge area. It definitely was a tough one! For the first mile or so you're on gravel and going up steadily. It really gets hard once you get to the saddle, which is a nice resting spot. From there you can go on Little House or Big House. Since Big House was supposedly easier we took that trail, but it was definitely not easy! It's a steep, rocky incline that had me regretting going hiking today... but the view when you reach the top is worth the climb and the walk back is very easy as it's totally downhill.

Overall maybe not the best trail for a novice like myself, but it's worth it for the view and the workout!

geocaching

This is my favorite hike of all time. If you live in Lexington, you have to do this hike. The hike to the saddle is difficult but not as difficult as the hike to either big house or little house. Big house is an extremely steep but short hike with FANTASTIC VIEWS! Little house is also a little difficult but again fantastic views. Don't let this hike intimidate you, it's worth every minute!

Although I've hiked house mountain over 10 or so times, I've only seen the goat once (my fifth trip). It was amazing. The goat led me and my sister to the top of big house, and took several pictures with us! When we left, it even led us partially down big house mountain!

My wife and I did the Little House portion. After the saddle, the real hike begins. Thanks to the good folks who maintained the trail up to the switchbacks. After that there's a challenging scramble and some bouldering. The hike along the mountain ridge to the viewpoint seems a lot longer than expected after the climb to get there but the view is spectacular.

Great trail! Big house is easier then Little house (steeper climb). Great views from big house!

Great hike along with a great workout. If you are doing both trails, recommend you do Little before Big. Views are awesome.

Awesome. Had the entire trail to ourselves. Did Big House this time. Will do Little House next time.

geocaching

Fun. The hike really begins once you pass the saddle.

My brother and I did the hike up to the saddle and turned right for the hike up little house mountain. There are some really steep parts and we had to take multiple breaks on the way up. When you get up there though, it flattens out for a little bit of ridge hiking and the view is really nice. The map at the saddle says there are three overlooks at the top of the mountain but we really only found one, the one farthest from the saddle. It took us a little over 2 hours to get up there (to little house mtn.)

This hike will kick your butt but I thought it was worth it.