House Mountain Trail

House Mountain Trail is a 9.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lexington, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until September.

House Mountain actually has two trails that fort at the "Saddle" area,

My wife and I did the Little House portion. After the saddle, the real hike begins. Thanks to the good folks who maintained the trail up to the switchbacks. After that there's a challenging scramble and some bouldering. The hike along the mountain ridge to the viewpoint seems a lot longer than expected after the climb to get there but the view is spectacular.

Great trail! Big house is easier then Little house (steeper climb). Great views from big house!

Great hike along with a great workout. If you are doing both trails, recommend you do Little before Big. Views are awesome.

Awesome. Had the entire trail to ourselves. Did Big House this time. Will do Little House next time.

Fun. The hike really begins once you pass the saddle.

My brother and I did the hike up to the saddle and turned right for the hike up little house mountain. There are some really steep parts and we had to take multiple breaks on the way up. When you get up there though, it flattens out for a little bit of ridge hiking and the view is really nice. The map at the saddle says there are three overlooks at the top of the mountain but we really only found one, the one farthest from the saddle. It took us a little over 2 hours to get up there (to little house mtn.)

This hike will kick your butt but I thought it was worth it.

Great hike - amazing views from Big House. Definitely a windier peak on the days that I've happened to go. There's a very friendly goat who will actually follow along with anyone on the trail.

This trail kicked my butt. I am trying to "get back in shape" to play NCAA Soccer in the fall... So I'd say that I am probably middle of the pack as far as "in shape" is concerned. Just getting to the trail was hard... you walk up this really boring road where there are a few houses... not much to see...

I've attempted this trail three times.
The first time I didn't even make it to the saddle... I was sadly out of shape.
The second time I made it to the saddle... but not the top.
The third time I made it to the top and just the pure satisfaction was glorious. The view was something I've never seen in my entire life.

I would recommend this trail to anyone who:
is trying to get back in shape.
is looking for a moderate hike.
is looking for a new perspective.

Make SURE you park in the designated area for your hike. While this is a HEAVILY wooded area, there are residents who enforce these rules are your car will be towed. This happened to another hiker during my hike.

Two trails that are pretty strenuous but with great payoffs.

From the Saddle Ridge Rd/VA643 parking area, the trail is basically a gravel road for a mile or so. Road is a moderate/strenuous continual climb. The trail forks at the Saddle area. Take a left to go to Big House Mountain. This section of the trail increases in elevation and steepness. You'll need to climb a few rocks and once at the top are treated to great views.

Return to the Saddle area to take the Little House Trail. The very beginning section was partially hidden by late season grown but once you go past this area, follow the blue blazes. The incline increases and there are smallish boulders to climb. Once on the ridge, you'll meander a bit until reaching the cliff views. Back track the trail to return to the parking area.

Both trails are hard and you'll feel it on the way up and the day after. But the views are great.