Hawksbill Gap Loop

Hawksbill Gap Loop is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Syria, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

great views and a lot of varying terrain to keep you on your toes

beautiful scenery, plenty of wildlife it's a great hike for the family.

We went the AT trail way and it was awesome. Great views and easier climb.

Beautiful view and well worth the hike. I inadvertently went up the steeper lower hawksbill trail to the top so I was huffing a bit near the top. Took the salamander trail and AT back down which would have been much more gradual. Overall a great way to start a day of hiking at Shenandoah.

Amazing view and hike. My husband and I took the steep trail.. went out of breath a couple of times but it was worth it! :) Beautiful view at the top, everybody should see it!

Definitely a big difference in steepness depending on which way you go. I didn't see as many views on the loop as I'd read about. Maybe too many leaves still on the trees. Great view at the top though for sure.

Its is pretty up there. We took the longer hike than the short but stiff... We had a great time...

The loop made it more interesting including some of the A.T.. I even think the loop was easier due to the fact that the other route has the biggest incline on the way up. When you do the loop you are going down that incline on the way out. At the summit there are some neat compasses that show you which mountains you are looking at. For the loop... take the trail on the right from the parking place. That trail will lead you to the A.T. head south which will be your left. Then you'll see a fork in the trails. Take the one on the left to salamander trail, and it will take you to the summit.

Beautiful view from the peak. Well worth the hike. We did this in the clockwise route, getting the steep ascent out of the way first thing. This is how I would recommend doing this trail. Watch your step when you get to the rock crossings, some will teeter totter when you step on them. We also went the extra .4 mi on the AT to Rock Spring Hut, this is a nice quiet place to take a break. The trail is well maintained and highly used. Get there early if you want a parking spot!

Gorgeous views for a fairly quick hike! Loved the rocky top