Harwood's Mill Trail

Harwood's Mill Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Yorktown, VA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

If you are using your GPS to get here, you will probably need to put Newport News Park as your destination.

I found this place very hard to navigate. There were signs posted, but the trails were close to overgrown in some spots and very hard to find when you had to cross a service road. From the trails that I was able to find, it was fairly flat with multiple switchbacks. Seems like a perfect place to take your kids if they are ready to learn.

Not a whole lot to it. Most of the trails are dirt roads you could drive a car on. I was hiking but I did not see any difficult parts for a bike.

Hardwood Mills is very flat, and in my opinion a beginner trail for MTB throughout with many straight runs allowing for speed-play. There are two courses here. There is a beginner course and another trail section labeled advanced.... But the advanced sign should be removed and a 'beginner' marker should be added in its place; nothing advanced about Hardwood Mills.

I will say, however, that this course is an outstanding run for children and other beginners who are starting MTB. The forest is nice and there is a pier for fishing. This trail is a good one to take your girlfriend or anyone else who's a less than entry level rider, because of the flat terrain and minimal yet shallow climbs.

The directions linked to trail details take you to a housing area with no parking. The trail is in an awesome location.

I started the trail at the Denbigh blvd side of the expert trail and then finished out on the advanced. Today was my first time riding at Harwood's Mill after not trail riding in over 8 years. I 'm going to say that the where the expert trail is a lot more narrow than the advanced trail, the advanced trail has longer and steeper climbs, MUCH better obstacles, and a much more enjoyable ride. I will agree with the other review of this place saying that the roots are kinda out of control but for riding in the woods I guess it comes with the territory. If you can get over the bUmPy ride you are sure to have a good time. This is going to be a trail that I will continue to ride seeing as how I can ride there from my house with a 8.5 round trip ride. Great day and I suggest everyone give it a shot.

I've been riding hardwoods mill for the past few weeks. The novice trail is really fun if you can keep up some good speed. Then once you find the advanced, it not bad either. A bit too rooty for my taste. But still generally fun. The if you get lucky enough to find the expert trail, which is almost impossible to find, then you'll get a pretty hefty mix of trail riding. From hard pack switchbacks to rooty quick hills. All in all a ride through all three I call the Harwood mill tour and it's quite the workout. Check this one out