Grayson Highlands State Park Trail

Grayson Highlands State Park Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mouth of Wilson, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November.

scenic driving

Absolutely beautiful place! Definitely going back as I only hiked one trail (Rhododendron) and that barely scratched the surface. I want to camp here! GH has something for every hiker, every level but what sets this heavenly place apart from none other is the horses. Come on...it's what we all go for!

We did a section of this hike and combined it with another, longer route. Beautiful views, wild ponies, interesting terrain. Route is clearly marked most of the time. Our dog loved it.

Great hike with a different terrain than most nc/va hikes. Can be very windy on the open highlands in late October.

Wow. My friend has talked about this place for the last several years. I finally made my way to VA, and completely understand why she loves it so very much. It is incredibly beautiful. I did not find the trail especially difficult. We saw the feral ponies, which was quite a treat. Unfortunately, I also witnessed people feeding the ponies, which is strictly prohibited.
I enjoyed very much climbing on some of the rock formations. The panoramic views during the middle of October are amazing!

This was our second AT 1 nighter after Carvers Gap in TN 2 weeks ago. I didn't think anything could beat the view but this was simply amazing. A little tougher but worth it! We saw about 10 wild ponies and 50+ Cattle (long horn) in the Trail. 5 stars and worth doing! Started at the backpackers overnight parking lot and headed AT Spur Trail to the AT north. Camped at "the Scales". Followed the AT north to "pine mountain trail" then back on AT north. 13 total miles.

One of the coolest places to go especially with children. ❤️❤️❤️

It was a work out! Loved it
I loved seeing the ponies. There were several foals! To cute!!

one of my very favorite places ! we park at Massie gap and always go over the first rock cliff. I love the ponies !

Poured the whole time but it was just as beautiful as expected. AT access is perfect! HYOH

Massie Gap...white trail all the way to the mountain

Wild Ponies!!

I'd highly recommend this trail to all....

One of my favorite winter backpacking spots in the Appalachians. I'll list all of the reasons why below.

1. Rocky balds - this gives you the feel of a western rocky hike but with the amazing views of the Appalachians.

2. Beautiful snow covered ridge and trees - the snow and rime ice from the freezing water vapors of the clouds create a winter paradise. It's key to plan your trip after a large winter storm.

3. Wild ponies - they have been grazing in the area for decades. They make for a fun surprise when you wake up with them in your camp in the AM. They are great models for photography also with the mountain backdrop.

4. Fairly easy hike

5. Great scenes for nature photography

Enjoy your trip!

We took the Rhodendron Trail from Massie Gap to the Appalachain Trail to the Mount Rogers Spur Trail. It took about 4 hours out and back and was around 10 miles. The trails were very well maintained and very well marked. The views were incredible. It was a very interesting hike because the scenery seemed to change every half mile to mile. We had read many reviews on here and online for the hike to the Mount Rogers summit and they definitely didn't disappoint. The only thing was that the summit isn't well marked. We found a cardboard sign someone had written and placed on a rock. Other than that this hike is a must! There are a ton of rocks but the grade of incline isn't very steep so it doesn't make you feel like your rock climbing. We saw many families with kids out on the hike so it's definitely not too difficult.

Awesome state park, unmatched Mtn scenery.