Gatewood Mountain Bike Trail

Gatewood Mountain Bike Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Newport News, VA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Not a bad trail last time I was on it (walking), however it is geared towards mountain biking. And if you do not have a clear map or a good sense of direction it can get you turned around and lost in a heart beat. The first few times I experienced this trial was mountain biking and it is a great ride.

I did it but I did not like some parts of it. I am not that steady on a bike.

We just got done with our first ever mountain bike ride on this trail. The beginning of the trail isn't immediately clear (down the slope and go under the fallen tree, hah!), but after getting our bike legs a bit and walking up some of the steepest parts we were able to finish! I even think we got a little lost, coming out behind the hospital and having to get back to the cars along the road on the sidewalk.

Maybe not for the most beginner of beginners, but what can I say, we're ambitious! Bring your phone and you'll be fine!

I was going to go here with the club but I was afraid that I would be too slow for them so I went on my own. Nice views of the lake most of the way.