Flat Top Mountain Trail

Flat Top Mountain Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buchanan, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Flat Top Mountain is one of three mountains making up the Peaks of Otter in Jefferson National Forest. It is the tallest of the three, topping out at 4,001 feet.

Trail from Otters of Peak lodge was hard, mostly vertical elevation, but worth the view at the summit.

Did not use listed trail. off parkway there is a pull off with signs for trail it connects to listed trail great view at top well worth the hike

Beautiful

I really enjoyed the hike to the top but unfortunately due to the weather it was too foggy to see the views at the top! Definitely plan to go back on a sunny day to get the full effect!

We ended up hiking in the rain since the weather lied so we had a view of solid fog at the top, which stunk but the hike was great (other than the rain). The trail is easy to follow, well kept, and very navigable. It's a steady incline with switchbacks but totally doable for low fitness levels. I myself work out, but am still in the process of loosing weight so I stopped many times on the way up to catch my breath from the climb. But it's worth it to now I conquered this and neighboring Sharp Top!

The trail was great! It took us about two hours to get to the top and there was almost no one else on the path!

Beautiful views. Interesting rock formations at the peak, but none so interesting as on neighboring Sharp Top. I believe I hiked from the other end, the trail starting from the north, and not the highlighted trail associated with this waypoint.

Easy at first, then becomes more challenging the last half mile. Definitely worth it

very nice.

I grew up hiking all over these mountains. There is not a hollow, creek or ridge where I have not been on Sharp Top, Flat Top or Apple Orchard and many surrounding these. My favorite time to go is now, anytime of the year! I like the scenery, the smells, and the sounds. And I love to go there with others. I have hiked there in the rain, and when I come up on deer bedded down they look at me as if to say "You arn't going to make me get up are you? I've hiked it and heard the snow hissing through the trees. The deep silence of the cold is so loud! The mystery of what I may see or hear next is exhilarating.
I learned to track both animals and men there. Suprisingly, the trail that a man leaves as he walks through only one time, can last for weeks, unless he or she is learned in the skill of tracking. So please, be very careful not to destroy by carelessly walking through.

A good workout like nearby sharp top but the view at the top isn't as impressive.

We hiked from the north trailhead on the Blue Ridge Parkway over the top to the Peaks of Otter picnic area. Beautiful hike. Lots of Trillium, Wild Geranium, May Apples and Spiderwort.

My favorite AT hike so far. Nice consistent climb with switchbacks making the incline bearable. The views were spectacular!

The trail is well-maintained and not heavily-trafficked. It's a constant climb to the top, rocky, and the views are incredible. A great payoff. I would recommend going with friends. I did this hike by myself with my dog and hiked really fast, it's not as enjoyable to hike fast as it's a considerable climb. Take your time, enjoy the wildflowers in spring, take lots of water and food. :)

Great hike! Very well maintained and marked. A lot of switch backs, but a steady incline and a fantastic view at the top.