Five Forks Battlefield

Five Forks Battlefield is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dinwiddie, VA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The Five Forks Unit of Petersburg National Battlefield now has approximately eight miles of trails open to the public. These trails can be used for hiking, bicycling, and horseback riding. Trail maps are available at the new Visitor Contact Station located at 9840 Courthouse Road in Dinwiddie County A great trail system for a day hike. Please review the latest parking fee at the National Park Service website - Petersburg National Battlefield - Five Forks Battlefield

Pros: Great looking scenery, truly feel deep in the woods on this one. No noises from outside world. 95% of trail is pine needles for roadbed. I mountain biked the trail. This was a fun trail overall. Marked well.
Cons: I felt it was marked well, but very confusing. If I didnt have my map from alltrails I would have been lost for sure. Trail is supposed to be a bhike trail, however the section (2miles) from courthouse rd to Courthouse rd gets progressively worse to the point that it was not passable biking. I had to walk the bike from White Oak Rd to Courthouse Rd.

Great clean trails, well marked. I suggest getting a trail map at the welcome center because of all of the intertwining trail segment names.

Nice long hike, trails are marked but if you don't have the map you may get turned around a bit by not knowing which trail to take back to your car. A lot of cool trees and rocks along the trails. Very quiet and shaded most the way. You can pick up a trail map at the visitor center.

Fun

Clean, quiet, well marked

I loved this trail. There were several paths that you could take. In some areas it was like taking a walk in the woods without a path. Some areas you went slightly uphill and down hill. I went early in the morning with my dog and he enjoyed the hike as well.