First Peak Trail

First Peak Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Troutdale, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.0 miles 1936 feet Out & Back

I connected to this trail from Bear Pen and ascended all the way to Third Peak. This was a very muddy trail not for the faint of heart. As I passed second Peak I was hoping for some views of Mount Rogers but those did not come util i got to Third Peak. Lots of wild blue berries and black berries as you come out of the woods. This trail seems to be taken by a lot of horseback riders. In fact, it might be that it truly is a horse trail. I did run into a couple who were walking down the trail on my way up but other than that it was a solitary walk through the wilderness. On the way down I walked to First Peak and then to the intersection of Kabel Trail. In all I walked 2.3 miles of this 3.1 mile trail. You can access it from the AT directly and do a 6.2 mile out and back or from three other trails within the Little Wilson Creek Wilderness. If you want to follow my track its part of a track called Little Wilson Creek Wilderness Down.

This trail shows how much damage years of horse use can do. I was hiking in the Little Wilson Creek Wilderness as part of my 20 mile hike. First Peak was not impressive. After going the wrong way after Bearpen, I turned around and got my bearings. The trail was super muddy the WHOLE way, with bogs and water everywhere. I had to bushwack around the trail at times to not get muddy. It got a little better when I exited the wilderness. At Stone Mountain, the views were obscured by the fog. The fog made the hike eerie, but I was glad not to have mud anymore. When I arrived at scales, my shoes and socks were taken off to dry. Its a nice hike to Stone Mtn and 3rd peak, but DO NOT GO BEYOND THERE UNLESS YOU ARE ON HORSEBACK!!! The trail is just too muddy for foot travel. As of August 10, 2013.