Farmville to High Bridge Trail

Farmville to High Bridge Trail is a 30.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Farmville, VA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

30.2 miles 1930 feet Out & Back

We parked at the River Road Access and enjoyed the walk on the rail trail to the far side of High Bridge and back on a wonderful early spring day (the end of last March). The views above the Appomattox River were beautiful.

This was a great ride. Farmville is such a nice, bike friendly little town. And the high bridge was thrilling.

A really cool bucket list trip. I agree that the safety stuff took away a little but not so much.

I am sure this trail is beautiful in the fall. The bridge has cool history and a sight to see. I have been wanting to walk this trail for years now. I must say i am pretty disappointed with my walk across the bridge. I am 5'4" and all I could see is wooden safety railing. My husband is 6' and he could barely see over the side of the bridge. Too many safety precautions has ruined the beautiful view.

smooth well graded paths, more of a walk than a hike.

We did this trail and it was a little difficult for us to locate. We found a great parking spot that was maybe half a mile from the bridge. The reason why I rated this low is because I'm 5'4" and the railing on the bridge was right at the level of my head, so I couldn't really see over it and I'd have to crouch to see under it, which then I was looking through the fencing. So, that was irritating. My husband who is about 6' had no problem, so if you're tall, it will be a better experience for you. I didn't think the view was particularly great either. But, it is an impressive bridge and I think people should still experience it!

Great leisurely walk and a great trail for biking or walking your dog. The new high bridge is beautifully rebuilt and has benches and great views along the way. This trail is flat and easy!

The trail itself is very easy as it is flat from start to the bridge and back.

I started around 7:45AM with a few runners and bike riders passing me along the way. Quite a few more folks parked at the River Road lot, which is just under a mile from the bridge. Got a bit busier there. On the way back, more bikers and runners. Reached the lot at Farmville around 11.

The bridge is wonderful...great views of the surrounding area. The upper railings of the bridge a little lower than shoulder length. There's also chain link between the railings to protect the little tykes. There area several spots on the bridge to stop and sit. You can also look down and see the lower structure and older parts of the bridge...and also the Appomattox river.

While there quite a bit of vegetation along the trail there are no larger trees to provide shade....put on a lot of sunscreen.