Dragon's Tooth Trail

Dragon's Tooth Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Catawba, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

Directions from Roanoke, VA: Take I-81, Exit 141 to VA 311 north for 10 miles to Dragons Tooth Parking Lot. Sign is on left, just past Catawba Grocery (also on left).

Not much to say specific to the trail that's hasn't already been mentioned. One of the most heavily trafficked trails in the area, would recommend going early to avoid excessive trailer goers that come late morning/afternoon.

Love it, challenge and reward!

how could you not love this trail?

Great hike! Only downfall is that it is very crowded on weekends. Probably better during the week when school is in and everybody is at work.

This is a pretty challenging trail, but the view and unique scenery is well worth the sweat.

Great hike, the last almost mile is difficult and the very last 3/10 is challenging. Nothing that can't be done but it's a tough climb up the rock faces.

Loved it. Great hike. IMO dangerous as hell tho. Not kid friendly

Great hike a little on dogs

Absolutely loved this hike. Picturesque scenery throughout, a good workout, and some fun rock scrambling to get to the summit. After climbing up the tooth and having a seat on it, we really didn't want to leave. On top of the tooth is a great place to relax and take in the scenery once your nerves calm. I highly recommend this hike for adults; I wouldn't bring the kids on this one.

We made a day of it by hiking McAfee's Knob in the morning (just 5 mi. up the road) and Dragon's Tooth in the afternoon. Had a blast and took in some great views that day. Highly recommend.

This trail is hard! See photos. But a lot of fun with the rock scrambles. Takes about 4 hours to complete. Trail is very narrow in places. Can't wait to go again!

Met great trail angels when I last walked this one in 2013, including two AT through hikers. One scary narrow place and some rock scrambling. Still, mucho fun, and an excellent late fall hike.

tough last .5 a lot of climbing tough on my dog but worth it when get to top

One of the most amazing trails I've ever been on and the climb up the Dragon's Tooth was fun too. AMAZING views!! I loved the rocky sections. One of my all time top 5 hikes ever!

at times it was rock climbing, the cool breeze and the view was good

We really enjoyed this hike. It was my husbands third time and my first. Very hard. I was not prepared for climbing rocks, and climbing down was a bit scary. We will do it again though, just not on such a hot day.

Was a great hike! The weather was foggy but very mystic in nature and really helped us to separate from the normal hustle and bustle of life. Was just a little too wet and foggy to reach the very top over the rock scramble. Will definitely go again just to finish!