Dragon's Tooth Trail

Dragon's Tooth Trail is a 4.3 mile out and back trail located near Catawba, VA. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Directions from Roanoke, VA: Take I-81, Exit 141 to VA 311 north for 10 miles to Dragons Tooth Parking Lot. Sign is on left, just past Catawba Grocery (also on left).

Great hike! Only downfall is that it is very crowded on weekends. Probably better during the week when school is in and everybody is at work.

Loved it. Great hike. IMO dangerous as hell tho. Not kid friendly

Great hike a little on dogs

Absolutely loved this hike. Picturesque scenery throughout, a good workout, and some fun rock scrambling to get to the summit. After climbing up the tooth and having a seat on it, we really didn't want to leave. On top of the tooth is a great place to relax and take in the scenery once your nerves calm. I highly recommend this hike for adults; I wouldn't bring the kids on this one.

We made a day of it by hiking McAfee's Knob in the morning (just 5 mi. up the road) and Dragon's Tooth in the afternoon. Had a blast and took in some great views that day. Highly recommend.

tough last .5 a lot of climbing tough on my dog but worth it when get to top

at times it was rock climbing, the cool breeze and the view was good

We really enjoyed this hike. It was my husbands third time and my first. Very hard. I was not prepared for climbing rocks, and climbing down was a bit scary. We will do it again though, just not on such a hot day.

Did this is Sept of 2014. A great day hike. We used it as a kick off for our 4 days doing the triple crown, (Dragons tooth, McAfee Knob & Tinkers cliffs)
Details and pics on SPOT adventures page.

Amazing views! The last .5 has an almost vertical climb.

hard 0.7 miles at the end but worth it

Dragons tooth is an amazing hike for all levels. If you take your time... This hike does have some rock formations that you will have to scale over, but its well worth the effort!!! The trail starts out from a parking lot. From there you head into the woods and crisscross a small stream. Some crossings have a bridge some just have stepping stones. Theres a small campsite on the left a couple hundred yards in. The ascent up Dragons Tooth begins with some switch backs that will take you up and over to the backside of the mountain. A little over half way up the trail you meet the A.T. and another campsite. From here it gets a little more difficult, continuing on the trail you will encounter a group of stone steps. An rock formations that you will have to climb over or go around. The last 1/4 mile consist of climbing a few rock faces and walking up stone stairs. Once you reach the top head left and the the rock formations are a hundred yards. Side note having done this trail several times. BE CAREFUL AFTER A RAIN OR FREEZE.. IT WILL BE EXTREMELY SLICK!!!

We took the AT up to Dragon's Tooth, not the DT trail so, I cannot comment on the DT trail itself. Dragon's Tooth was AMAZING though. Spectacular views of the valley below easily made this worth the effort.

This is a wonderful, tiring hike. The views from the parking area to the Tooth are gorgeous, especially on the AT sections of the trail. The rock climbing is demanding enough to be rewarding, but not overly extreme. I made this hike in January on a very cold morning, and the parking lot was still completely full by the time I got back to my car. I shared every foot of the trail with other hikers, it is surprisingly popular for a trail that really does require hikers to do a little work.

Started from the upper lot around 5PM. Made it to the rock formations around 530 with some great views of the valley below and the ranges ahead, leaves were just turning and sun just starting to set. Beautiful!

At this time of day, the lot had a fair amount of cars but only passed a few folks who where returning. I had the trial pretty much to myself.

no mention of this in the atc book wow