Dragon Tooth Trail

Dragon Tooth Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Catawba, VA that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

This is a pretty challenging trail, but the view and unique scenery is well worth the sweat.

Great hike, the last almost mile is difficult and the very last 3/10 is challenging. Nothing that can't be done but it's a tough climb up the rock faces.

This trail is hard! See photos. But a lot of fun with the rock scrambles. Takes about 4 hours to complete. Trail is very narrow in places. Can't wait to go again!

Met great trail angels when I last walked this one in 2013, including two AT through hikers. One scary narrow place and some rock scrambling. Still, mucho fun, and an excellent late fall hike.

One of the most amazing trails I've ever been on and the climb up the Dragon's Tooth was fun too. AMAZING views!! I loved the rocky sections. One of my all time top 5 hikes ever!

Was a great hike! The weather was foggy but very mystic in nature and really helped us to separate from the normal hustle and bustle of life. Was just a little too wet and foggy to reach the very top over the rock scramble. Will definitely go again just to finish!

Beautiful! A little rock climbing, scooting, crawling over rocks involved...but well worth it when you get to the top.

not too tough not too easy

My favorite view of the New River Valley hikes. The 360 mountain range view is gorgeous!

Didn't have enough time to make it all the way to the tooth. I think the entire trip from the trail head intersection where the Dragons back and the Mcafee's knob trail begin to the Dragons Tooth is ultimately the perfect two day over night excursion. This would be all the way from the highway trail intersection to the tooth and assertion of the tooth in my conservative estimates. Have fun, be safe!

Hiked 4days ago with Nathaniel Amos and Coco. Not bad.

fun but not really dog friendly either way we made it

last mile was a challenge but was well worth it.

This was a great hike and requires a lot of physical strength at the last part of the trail. A good amount of light rock climbing, no need for any gear or tools for that part. it does get pretty steep but definitely one of my top two hikes so far. There is a nice reward at the top and the trail is pretty well maintained.

My favorite hike! Sunrise hike is probably the best one I've ever experienced! Love how it goes from steady incline to climbing over rocks. Stargazing is amazing and great for camping!

We hiked the whole trail with our 20 lb chihuahua mix. While it was a good workout for us, it was a challenge for him to make it up some of the rocks in the final climb. This probably took us about three hours with a solid 20 minute rest at the top.

Here is a review from the viewpoint of my dog Petey:

This hike started off really fun. I was leaving my humans in the dust. Then we hit some really steep rocks and I panicked. Nathan picked me up and forced me to continue the hike despite my reservations. Once we were to the top the humans sat on another steep rock and ate trail mix while I hid in the shade and protected them from other humans, some of which who carried big sticks. These humans could be dangerous so I barked to keep them away from my humans. When it was time to head back to the car I didn't want to return to the steep rocks so Nathan had to grab me and forcefully remove me from the top of the mountain. The way down was much less intimidating than the way up and I scaled the steep rocks and impressed my humans. They don't get out much.