Doyles River Loop

Doyles River Loop is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Grottoes, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.7 miles 1952 feet Loop

2 Water Falls if hiking out and back 3 if you do the loop with Jones Run Trail and the Applachian Trail. The upper falls is 63' and the lower is 28'. Jones Falls is 42' and its parking area is at mile post 84. Its a long downhill followed by a long uphill walk. Short distance to Loft Mountain Wayside for Food afterwards. Trail is well marked with concrete pillars telling you directions.

Hiked this weekend. 1st time. Awesome with beautiful waterfalls, vistas and solitude. Start out with southern route on the Doyles river trail to the falls, all down hill. When you reach the Doyles falls cabin, stay on the blue blazes to right to continue down the mountain. Shortly after the lower falls, get ready to work! Uphill past the Jones falls; stay to the left of these falls and continue the climb to the Jones parking lot. Pick up AT headed North. From there, very easy, mostly level hike not far from skyline drive. Cross skyline a couple times (fortunately cement pillars are well marked as to where to go from there). The last 1/2 mile or so of the loop, involves a climb. Overall, loved it and will do again. But whoever says this is 7.7 must have cut across the switchbacks. I gt 9.2 on my app. Took lots of pics, and was in no rush. 4:27min.

Did the hike with the family between Christmas and new year
Beautiful path daine and back up another valley along waterfalls and a few miles along the AT. My 6 and 8 years old did not make the last mile but we split the adults. To go get the car (plenty of access from the road when on the AT)
Wonderful afternoon overall

Nice hike with nice falls. Not too much water this time of year (December) but still very nice. Paucity of animals. Loop is 8 mi. Not too strenuous.

I also started with the waterfalls and ended with the AT. Not many people, but FINALLY saw my first black bear! Great hike; love hiking along the creek. Falls not spectacular, but it's been a pretty dry season. Took me 3.25 hours to do the 7.7 mile loop.

Start with the waterfalls and end with the AT so you get the painful part out of the way first! Great views, not too many people.

We hiked straight down and enjoyed the scenery .
We take pride In not getting passed ....this was a close call , beautiful down and back at you when

Great trail with a little bit of everything-flat, rocky, downhill, uphill, water, dense trees etc. Wildlife was abundant on our particular day- black snake, black bear, copperhead. I have a feeling if it rained you also would not get too wet as it is has plenty of thick cover and shade from the hot sun as well. Thunder threatened us most of the day, but it was of no concern in my book. Plenty of access to cold water for your dog or yourself to cool off with. All around great trail and the final uphill will take off that extra 3-5 lbs you want to get rid of ;) Just breeeathe!! lol

We started at the Browns Gap parking area for this and cut off a bit of the trail. Starting at the Browns Gap, we took the fire road and interested the Doyles River trail. We turned right at that point and continued through all three waterfalls (2 on Doyles River and one for the Jones Run trail). The first half of the hike was pretty easy and mostly downhill, once you reach the bottom, naturally you come back up, passing Jones Run Falls. Once we reached Jones Run parking, we hiked about a mile of the AT back to the Browns Gap parking. I did the complete 6.2 miles with a 1 year old in a back pack and didn't have any trouble, although I was definitely sweating and breathing hard on the uphill! The hike is gorgeous and I will definitely be doing it again!

It was great! Tons of falls and pools!!

Did it as the total loop and had a blast! Tons of gorgeous falls to see. Saw a bear in the last 200 yards of the hike near the trail head.

Nice wide trails, and beautiful scenery. We did a down and back to the second waterfall which is BEAUTIFUL.