Doyles River Loop

Doyles River Loop is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Grottoes, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.7 miles 1903 feet Loop

2 Water Falls if hiking out and back 3 if you do the loop with Jones Run Trail and the Applachian Trail. The upper falls is 63' and the lower is 28'. Jones Falls is 42' and its parking area is at mile post 84. Its a long downhill followed by a long uphill walk. Short distance to Loft Mountain Wayside for Food afterwards. Trail is well marked with concrete pillars telling you directions.

I also started with the waterfalls and ended with the AT. Not many people, but FINALLY saw my first black bear! Great hike; love hiking along the creek. Falls not spectacular, but it's been a pretty dry season. Took me 3.25 hours to do the 7.7 mile loop.

Start with the waterfalls and end with the AT so you get the painful part out of the way first! Great views, not too many people.

We hiked straight down and enjoyed the scenery .
We take pride In not getting passed ....this was a close call , beautiful down and back at you when

Great trail with a little bit of everything-flat, rocky, downhill, uphill, water, dense trees etc. Wildlife was abundant on our particular day- black snake, black bear, copperhead. I have a feeling if it rained you also would not get too wet as it is has plenty of thick cover and shade from the hot sun as well. Thunder threatened us most of the day, but it was of no concern in my book. Plenty of access to cold water for your dog or yourself to cool off with. All around great trail and the final uphill will take off that extra 3-5 lbs you want to get rid of ;) Just breeeathe!! lol

We started at the Browns Gap parking area for this and cut off a bit of the trail. Starting at the Browns Gap, we took the fire road and interested the Doyles River trail. We turned right at that point and continued through all three waterfalls (2 on Doyles River and one for the Jones Run trail). The first half of the hike was pretty easy and mostly downhill, once you reach the bottom, naturally you come back up, passing Jones Run Falls. Once we reached Jones Run parking, we hiked about a mile of the AT back to the Browns Gap parking. I did the complete 6.2 miles with a 1 year old in a back pack and didn't have any trouble, although I was definitely sweating and breathing hard on the uphill! The hike is gorgeous and I will definitely be doing it again!

It was great! Tons of falls and pools!!

Did it as the total loop and had a blast! Tons of gorgeous falls to see. Saw a bear in the last 200 yards of the hike near the trail head.

Nice wide trails, and beautiful scenery. We did a down and back to the second waterfall which is BEAUTIFUL.

Geeat hike. The 9 mile loop isn't too difficult. There are tons of pools and falls too see.

Great day hike. We took our 2 dogs with us and the had a blast. It definitely gave us a good workout and people were very friendly. We will go up there in the spring.

went on the peak color day. great hike with some minor bouldering opportunities around the falls that leads to some secret falls areas. if you go left at the main fall it is a 10 mile hike total as it turns into another trail. amazing waterfalls down that path but it's 3 miles down the road from where you start on Doyles. park Rangers will give you a lift back if you are patient.

Beautiful with the fall leaves. Took about 1.5 hours.

Grande bodacious! Cool babbling stream, trickling waterdrops, and rock scrambling if you got the chod for it ;)

I hiked this trail with my three daughters and while the climb back up was difficult, they all handled it fine. They have more energy than I do! The upper falls had a nice area to sit and relax and enjoy a snack. The trail was not crowded, on a weekday, which lead to an interesting encounter with a bear. He was on the trail between the two falls and did not run off when he saw us. We had been making plenty of noise, so I am sure he heard us well before we saw him. He was an adolescent bear and was very curious. Even with my waving and yelling, he came down the trail towards me. I had my girls slowly back away until they were out of sight of him and then turn and move quickly back up the trail. Since he was not popping his jaw or chuffing, I believed he was not threatening us, but merely curious. Even still, better safe than sorry. He finally moved off the trail when I banged two pieces of metal together. It made for a great 'adventure' and also a good learning lesson for my girls.

Little tough getting back up hill but a great workout with a great view