EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail

Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Blackmore, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Scenic hike to the Devil's Bathtub, a scoured rock formation within Devil's Fork Creek. Hike follows the creek closely along its entire course, crossing the creek multiple times and passing several scenic swimming holes, rock formations, and waterfalls. This hike continues beyond the Devil's Bathtub, climbing the mountain and returning to the original trailhead. Beyond the Bathtub, however, the trail is much less maintained and may be difficult to follow in some seasons. Overcrowding at the Devil's Bathtub has become a problem, exacerbated by disrespectful hikers ignoring No Trespassing signs and parking along private property when the trailhead parking area becomes full. Please be aware that ALL areas outside of the signed parking area at the trailhead should be considered private property and should not be used for parking. Access to the trailhead is only allowed through an easement from a private landowner, and disregard for property owners' rights by visitors does nothing but needlessly strain this relationship...and puts you at risk of getting your car towed. If you arrive at the trailhead and the parking area is full, consider going somewhere else rather than breaking local trespassing laws. The Bathtub will still be there on another day, and you won't have to fight crowds of people to see it. We recommend Little Stony Falls or the Guest River Gorge as alternative hikes, both of which are nearby, have similar scenery than the Bathtub, and are virtually never crowded.

Great trail and hike. Don't forget to wear your water shoes which are an absolute must.

This was a absolutely breathtaking hike. We saw the main attraction (Devils Bathtub) in the beginning of the loop. The tub is much smaller than you expect. It's the size of a jacuzzi tub. There is a larger pool right next to the tub that is a better swimming hole but still cold. I did not get in but my boyfriend got in. The water was freezing (50s in July). About 10 minutes past the bathtub there is another gorgeous waterfall. We went off trail and ate our lunch on the rocks next to the falls. It was really difficult to climb down there and I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have my dog and boyfriend waiting at the bottom for me.

The remainder and majority of the hike does not have more water features. It was a lot of rolling hills in the woods. The overgrowth and stinging nettles left our ankles super itchy. We probably went three miles without seeing another hiker. I was disappointed to see as much trash as I did. If you are hiking please don't litter. It is such a shame to see.

We also spotted some bear tracks and bear droppings. If we were to redo this hike we would do the loop in the reverse direction so we approach the waterfalls and tubs at the end of the hike. I could have used a pool when we were done. If we come in the summer again it would be smart to have tall socks. Also, there is at least a mile of trail that is uncovered so it got pretty hot. My dog became a little overheated. So if you have a dog bring them a water bowl!

We didn't hike the full loop, only to the bathtub. While the trail is definitely a little tricky at times, my 8 year old daughter had little trouble keeping up with 4 adults. With multiple creek bed crossings, your feet are certain to get wet. The bathtub is beautiful, as is the pool just before you arrive at the bathtub. The water is COLD! Jump in!! You won't regret it! (Just keep your shoes on... I got a nasty little gash on my foot from a rock at the bottom of the bathtub!) And please take out what you take in... don't litter like others have!!

The trail is so so. The natural beauty is amazing but the trash and accumulation of fallen trees... Bit of a bummer. We hiked the entire loop. It was a bit confusing at times with limited markings. No cell service so no chance of referring to a map until you have pretty much already climbed the 1,500+ ft mountain. Bring plenty of water... It's a rather difficult trail. Horrible creek bed trails...Lots of rocks and some climbing. All in all... This trail is hard, long, and not for the faint of heart but you will definitely be one with nature because I am certain 99% of the people visiting do not hike the loop.

Awesome.. Stayed off the trails and walked through the rocks and water and had a blast for my first time hiking.... Warning the water is COLD

Very crowded over the weekend but a lovely trail!

Nice trail would recommend going during the week, was a little crowded on the weekend.

The trail is not very well maintained and there are a lot fallen trees. It would be nice to have a few log bridges to help with crossing the worst parts of the creek. Be sure to park right at the trailhead. The dirt road goes up the hill quite a bit and opens up to a fairly large parking area. If you park at the bottom of the road you'll be hiking quite a bit just to get to the actual trail.

We only hiked to the bathtub and back. Beautiful trail and pretty much level ground. The water however is FREEZING. I went in mid July and again in August. Both times I couldn't get more than up to my knees in the water because it is extremely cold all year 'round. I would NOT recommend following your GPS to this one. We ended up on the other side of Stone Gap and eventually had to knock on someone's door to get directions. The lady who answered the door told us that people's GPS takes them in the wrong direction all the time. You're better off just asking a local. Thankfully, the locals are extremely nice and helpful. Most of them will be able to give you accurate directions. Also, in Fort Blackmore there is a little store called the Front Porch that sells Devil's Bathtub t-shirts!

Loved it....for new people...just follow the yellow markers on the trees ...me and my black lab enjoyed it!

had tons a fun with the wife and the kids. will be going back

Rugged trail with 14 large creek crossings one way up to bathtub. The creek is washed out at several locations and there are no bridges and no way to keep dry shoes and pants. One area has a muddy trail with a stream running through the trial for 200 yards. The final stretch before Devils bathtub has a cliff over big slide rock that you have to hold on to a rope as you walk on a six inch ledge. The water is cold and trail is rugged. This is not for the faint of heart or primper hiker. A blast if you love a challenge and love getting wet and dirty.

The bathtub and pool were awesome. We were able to jump in (very cold on a 75 degree day) and swim around a bit. I wouldn't recommend the loop trail as it is roughly 9 miles (not 7 miles) and there is very little to see. If anything, I'd go about a quarter mile into the loop past the bathtub and turn back. There's a lovely waterfall about that far into the trail but that's the last remarkable thing you'll see. Just wish we had spent less time on the loop part of the trail and more time at the landmarks. I wore my hiking boots on the way in, but wish that I'd packed my Chacos for swimming and wading. Make sure you bring a change of clothes because you won't want to miss out on jumping in.

Our GPS tracked 8.9 miles round trip, so the advertised 7 miles is way off.

This trip was amazing, took a group of boy scouts over the weekend. The trail is very well blazed in yellow and easy to follow unlike a lot of older posts lead you to believe. We elected to hike the loop in the counterclockwise direction, going to the right when you get to the fork where the trail loops. The first 2 miles or so are VERY strenuous and steep. No switchbacks here...The rest of the hike was awesome. The water was VERY high and most stream crossings were close to knee deep. Most of the trail was wet and mucky, and in places there was water flowing down the middle of the trail. I elected to hike in my Chaco's which was the best decision ever. I was able to not worry about the creek crossings and just wade straight across. The majority of my group had to stop and take off boots at every crossing which slowed us down considerably. Hiking poles are also highly recommended for the stream crossings, with the water being so pushy, it was nice to have some added stability. If you're going to carry a pack, make sure the contents are packed to keep them dry. We had one scout slip and fall in at one of the crossings and his sleeping bag got soaked. We never found a good place to camp for the size of our group (16) and ended up camping back at the parking lot.

Amazing trail. A good challenge. Absolutely amazing views.

Great trail, we hiked to the Devils bathtub and back. Lots of pretty purple wildflowers, and a beautiful stream all the way up. You do have to cross this stream quite a few times and the rocks are a bit slippery if you aren't careful.

Cold water in January but duh. Beautiful hike, was amazing with a bit of snow on the ground. Going back this summer to swim.