Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail

Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Blackmore, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Scenic hike to the Devil's Bathtub, a scoured rock formation within Devil's Fork Creek. Hike follows the creek closely along its entire course, crossing the creek multiple times and passing several scenic swimming holes, rock formations, and waterfalls. This hike continues beyond the Devil's Bathtub, climbing the mountain and returning to the original trailhead. Beyond the Bathtub, however, the trail is much less maintained and may be difficult to follow in some seasons. Overcrowding at the Devil's Bathtub has become a problem, exacerbated by disrespectful hikers ignoring No Trespassing signs and parking along private property when the trailhead parking area becomes full. Please be aware that ALL areas outside of the signed parking area at the trailhead should be considered private property and should not be used for parking. Access to the trailhead is only allowed through an easement from a private landowner, and disregard for property owners' rights by visitors does nothing but needlessly strain this relationship...and puts you at risk of getting your car towed. If you arrive at the trailhead and the parking area is full, consider going somewhere else rather than breaking local trespassing laws. The Bathtub will still be there on another day, and you won't have to fight crowds of people to see it. We recommend Little Stony Falls or the Guest River Gorge as alternative hikes, both of which are nearby, have similar scenery than the Bathtub, and are virtually never crowded.

Great for experienced hikers..

Bittersweet. The trail was crowded and quite narrow at times. The trash was unbelieveable; very disappointing and really ruined the views. If it was maintained and cleaned up it would be gorgeous. We did manage to get some great pictures, however. We hiked the entire trail. Worst hike of my life; poorly marked at times, poorly maintained or uncleared in areas, stinging weed was terrible, and walking down what seemed to be a creek bed was just the cherry to the cake of our day....

I did it short and sweet; Went to the 'tub and came back. If you can handle the rocks at stream crossings, this is a piece of cake. Be mindful: The leaves have fallen, obscuring the trail itself. This forces you to pay VERY close attention to the blazes.

Loved the hike and the views. Water was very cold but refreshing. Can't wait to return in the summer!!

DO NOT GO UNLESS YOU HAVE 4WD because me and my friend tried to it was beautiful (the pictures anyways) and we were so excited but her car would not have made it a quarter of a mile BEFORE the trail head some cars were parked along the road but before the trail head is a no parking zone so we did not get to see the Devils bathtub

Great trail and hike. Don't forget to wear your water shoes which are an absolute must.

This was a absolutely breathtaking hike. We saw the main attraction (Devils Bathtub) in the beginning of the loop. The tub is much smaller than you expect. It's the size of a jacuzzi tub. There is a larger pool right next to the tub that is a better swimming hole but still cold. I did not get in but my boyfriend got in. The water was freezing (50s in July). About 10 minutes past the bathtub there is another gorgeous waterfall. We went off trail and ate our lunch on the rocks next to the falls. It was really difficult to climb down there and I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have my dog and boyfriend waiting at the bottom for me.

The remainder and majority of the hike does not have more water features. It was a lot of rolling hills in the woods. The overgrowth and stinging nettles left our ankles super itchy. We probably went three miles without seeing another hiker. I was disappointed to see as much trash as I did. If you are hiking please don't litter. It is such a shame to see.

We also spotted some bear tracks and bear droppings. If we were to redo this hike we would do the loop in the reverse direction so we approach the waterfalls and tubs at the end of the hike. I could have used a pool when we were done. If we come in the summer again it would be smart to have tall socks. Also, there is at least a mile of trail that is uncovered so it got pretty hot. My dog became a little overheated. So if you have a dog bring them a water bowl!

We didn't hike the full loop, only to the bathtub. While the trail is definitely a little tricky at times, my 8 year old daughter had little trouble keeping up with 4 adults. With multiple creek bed crossings, your feet are certain to get wet. The bathtub is beautiful, as is the pool just before you arrive at the bathtub. The water is COLD! Jump in!! You won't regret it! (Just keep your shoes on... I got a nasty little gash on my foot from a rock at the bottom of the bathtub!) And please take out what you take in... don't litter like others have!!

The trail is so so. The natural beauty is amazing but the trash and accumulation of fallen trees... Bit of a bummer. We hiked the entire loop. It was a bit confusing at times with limited markings. No cell service so no chance of referring to a map until you have pretty much already climbed the 1,500+ ft mountain. Bring plenty of water... It's a rather difficult trail. Horrible creek bed trails...Lots of rocks and some climbing. All in all... This trail is hard, long, and not for the faint of heart but you will definitely be one with nature because I am certain 99% of the people visiting do not hike the loop.

Awesome.. Stayed off the trails and walked through the rocks and water and had a blast for my first time hiking.... Warning the water is COLD

Very crowded over the weekend but a lovely trail!

Nice trail would recommend going during the week, was a little crowded on the weekend.

The trail is not very well maintained and there are a lot fallen trees. It would be nice to have a few log bridges to help with crossing the worst parts of the creek. Be sure to park right at the trailhead. The dirt road goes up the hill quite a bit and opens up to a fairly large parking area. If you park at the bottom of the road you'll be hiking quite a bit just to get to the actual trail.

We only hiked to the bathtub and back. Beautiful trail and pretty much level ground. The water however is FREEZING. I went in mid July and again in August. Both times I couldn't get more than up to my knees in the water because it is extremely cold all year 'round. I would NOT recommend following your GPS to this one. We ended up on the other side of Stone Gap and eventually had to knock on someone's door to get directions. The lady who answered the door told us that people's GPS takes them in the wrong direction all the time. You're better off just asking a local. Thankfully, the locals are extremely nice and helpful. Most of them will be able to give you accurate directions. Also, in Fort Blackmore there is a little store called the Front Porch that sells Devil's Bathtub t-shirts!

Loved it....for new people...just follow the yellow markers on the trees ...me and my black lab enjoyed it!