Dark Hollow Falls Trail

Dark Hollow Falls Trail is a 1.5 mile out and back trail located near Syria, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible from April until October.

Dark Hollow Falls is one of the closest scenic falls to the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. Learn about black bears, wildflowers, and enjoy the falls as President Thomas Jefferson did back in the day.

This trail is beautiful, definitely go in the early morning to avoid a lot of pedestrian traffic. I wouldn't rate this as a hard trail, more moderate.

Great hike, 2 year old hiked to falls and back most of the way. Carried him for the steep and slippery area back up. We both enjoyed it, took our time, very enjoyable, especially when he listens!

Really great trail. Hike down to the falls is quite leisurely, but the hike back is almost entirely uphill and can be difficult, especially since this trail is quite heavily trafficked (for good reason -- the views are beautiful). Definitely recommend

Very steep, but worth it!

We did this in conjunction with Rose River Trail, and it was definitely a nice combination. The falls on this trail were a nice picnic spot with some flat rocks to sit on and watch. There were lots of people on the trail, and we saw a bear with 3 cubs along the way. Seeing the bears was fine except that other people were getting too close and were more concerned with their selfies than their safety. The trail itself, though, was fine, and we certainly enjoyed the views along the way.

This trail is very popular and is busy during the summer months. I would rate this trail easy to moderate. It's uphill the whole way out, but it is a short hike. The rocks can be slippery when wet. Good footwear is important. Pets are not allowed. I thought it was worth going to lower falls and less crowed. The upper falls were very picturesque. The very top of the falls you can walk out onto the rocks and look down onto to the cascade of the waterfall.

Moderate hike to a cascade.

Trail is pretty steep as you continue to go down, but well worth the hike. I approached it from the bottom up as I hiked the Rose River Falls trail first,

I would rate this trail easy; I have been on several different waterfall hikes that were 10 times harder than this one and were rated moderate. The way down to the hikes is downhill Most of the way so the incline going back up from the falls is a little intense if you do not mind an uphill hike. The falls are beautiful and definitely worth seeing. It is a short hike with amazing views of the waterfall. You can even get in the water if you would like, but it isn't quite deep enough to swim in. Watch out for snakes, we saw two on this hike. Overall very fun and a good outdoor activity for the family.

I've been on several waterfalls hikes and this one jumped right to the top of my list. It's a very short hike with a wide path all the way down to the falls. The main falls were beautiful but be sure to continue down the trail a little ways to see the other smaller falls. The hike back up is a little steep if you aren't in decent shape. Watch out for snakes.

Although it is relatively short as far as hiking is concerned, it was still a lot of fun and a good way to spend half a day. I would recommend this spot for small families. The elevation change isn't terrible, and coming back up is manageable. The waterfalls are beautiful and make the hike worth it. However, beware, when a good friend and I were joking up there we saw a black bear or two. So keep your eyes open this time of year. Other than that it was phenomenal!

The hike was easy. I took beautiful pictures of the falls. It was not crowded at all.

We parked at the edge of the Big Meadows visitor's center parking lot and started off on the Story of the Forest trail, which has a spur that crosses Skyline Drive and connects to the top of the Dark Hollow Falls trail, so the total distance was probably around 2.2 - 2.3 miles. Story of the Forest is a very easy (uneventful) trail, but it was a nice way to get started. Our daughters - 7 and 9 - had a great time on the hike down to Dark Hollow Falls, and the climb back up wasn't too bad for them, though we did stop a few times to let them rest. I would suggest hiking straight down to the falls with younger kids, and then allowing them to stop along the way back up - which they'll likely need to do anyway - and check out the stream and pools along the way. There are a few pools deep enough to have some brook trout, and you can take the time to try to find crayfish and salamanders as well. Got some great pictures of the falls with the whole family.

Short 1/2 mile hike to waterfall with steep climb back. We were there on Memorial Day and it was really crowded. Hundreds of people on the trail. There is a fee to enter the park of $20 per private vehicle or $10 per person.

fabulous!

Great views of the falls. We saw 3 black bears when we went. lots of fun.

tough climb back up but totally worth the trip. we did it in the fog with a thunderstorm coming in which only added to the beauty.

We took 5 children under the age of 7. Our oldest two did really well, but we ended up carrying the younger two. The way back was very much uphill.

However, if you have the energy, go for it, the kids loved the stream running along the trail.