Claude Moore Trail

Claude Moore Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sterling, VA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Hiked The Scout Trail (Blue Blaze) with kiddo (9 yr old) on a cloudy early 70s day in March '16. All in all it was a good hike, we went on a weekday so encountered maybe 2 other hikers/runners along the way. The length of the trail is about 3.4 miles and it loops to/from the recreation center, so plenty of parking.

The good: Kid friendly, a few hills, but nothing exceptionally difficult. Trail fairly well marked, with plenty of intersecting trails along the way if people want to explore. Convenient to the area, so it was easily accessible. Park offers a rec center with a few activities for kids, including an indoor pool/slash area.

The bad: Trail was fairly muddy in a many spots, we had to navigate around those spots, but still got shoes muddy. The biggest issue we had was road/traffic noise, the park is nestled between a few major roads so it's unavoidable. If quite/tranquil hikes with the backdrop of nature sounds is what you seek, look elsewhere. Based on this alone, we probably won't be back.

Otherwise, if the noise issue doesn't bother you, worth a try.

Nice trail close to home, it's a little muddy right now but it is still early in the season. My wife and I usually do this trail a few times a week

This was my first time hiked this rail and I had a great time. It was a short drive from the Dulles airport. I will visit it again when I am in area.

I hike this trail regularly and I love it. The first section is the most uphill, and after that it's pretty flat - I don't know that I'd even rate it as a moderate.

Absolutely loved it. The lake is beautiful, and the blue trail is serene and lush. Also, I was impressed by the recreation center. It has maps of the trails which include many more options than what is listed on this app. :)

Great park with lots to do. We enjoyed the trails walking past farm homes and the ponds. We had a little view of history with the old houses and learning the trail was the old highway from Alexandria to WVA. We will go back to hit the other trails.

Love the trails at Claude Moore!! Kid friendly and lots to do. My kids like to mix & match the trails and they like to end with a snack at the kids sized picnic tables. We went into the visitors center once and had a great time in the hands-on room set up just for kids. We have only explored this park in the fall/winter months. I'm looking forward to what spring/summer will look like!!

When I think of Claude Moore, I immediately think of the variety it has to offer. The trails are my favorite, but there's a farm museum which my sons like and all kinds of ball fields to utilize. The recreation center itself is top notch and I've enjoyed swimming there many times.

I'm fortunate to live within a mile of the park. I can walk out my front door and hit the blue trail in about five minutes. I follow it most of the way, then branch off on the white trail and take a break at the top to take in the amazing views of Sugerloaf to the North and the Catoctin and Blue Ridge mountains to the west. From there, it's a nice steady downhill thru a nice forest, passing by a beautiful farm pasture, continuing behind the community center and wrapping up through a relatively level expanse of woods. I usually see all kinds of wildlife and they do a pretty good job maintaining the trails.

Easy access to a great network of kid friendly trails. This is a wonderful place to come to with little ones to introduce them to nature.

Claude Moore Park has 11 miles of beautiful hiking trails. The best place to start is at the CMP Visitor Center at 21544 Old Vestal,s Gap Rd where you can pick up a trail map as not all the trails are showing up on this app. Also there are two ponds not lakes and no canoes are allowed on the ponds. The trails are wonderful.