Claude Moore Trail

Claude Moore Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sterling, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Hiked The Scout Trail (Blue Blaze) with kiddo (9 yr old) on a cloudy early 70s day in March '16. All in all it was a good hike, we went on a weekday so encountered maybe 2 other hikers/runners along the way. The length of the trail is about 3.4 miles and it loops to/from the recreation center, so plenty of parking.

The good: Kid friendly, a few hills, but nothing exceptionally difficult. Trail fairly well marked, with plenty of intersecting trails along the way if people want to explore. Convenient to the area, so it was easily accessible. Park offers a rec center with a few activities for kids, including an indoor pool/slash area.

The bad: Trail was fairly muddy in a many spots, we had to navigate around those spots, but still got shoes muddy. The biggest issue we had was road/traffic noise, the park is nestled between a few major roads so it's unavoidable. If quite/tranquil hikes with the backdrop of nature sounds is what you seek, look elsewhere. Based on this alone, we probably won't be back.

Otherwise, if the noise issue doesn't bother you, worth a try.

Nice trail close to home, it's a little muddy right now but it is still early in the season. My wife and I usually do this trail a few times a week

This was my first time hiked this rail and I had a great time. It was a short drive from the Dulles airport. I will visit it again when I am in area.